• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My precious bunny had to be put to sleep :(

Hi

I would just like to tell you all about my little boy who had to be put to sleep on Friday. I think I am just looking for some reassurance really and whether anyone else has experienced something like this before.

He was over 9 years old so I do know that he was a fair age and had done well. Over the past year or so he has definitely been slowing down, he didn't move about nearly as much as he used to, didn't eat as much and slept a lot more.

I got a phone call from my Mum on Tuesday morning (I am a uni student away in another city) telling me that he was not doing well. She had been up with him all night holding him :(

I went home the next day so I could be with him. He couldn't stand up and if you tried to put him on his feet he would just collapse really. He couldn't hold up his head either, it was so sad. She had managed to get him to take a little water via a syringe but he wouldn't eat. When I got home I gave him some pineapple juice which he seemed to really love and he was eating bits and pieces again.

That night I slept downstairs with him on a towel beside me. He would settle down for a while then every so often he would try and get up but he just couldn't. I know his mind was still fully working though as before he did the toilet he kept trying to get up as he knows that he has to do the toilet on his litter tray in the corner. It was heartbreaking.

After a few hours he really wouldn't settle unless he had his head rested on my arm or was sleeping on my tummy.

My Dad phoned the vet in the morning and he was taken in the afternoon. It was awful as we all knew what was going to happen. The vet said that it was just due to his age and his legs had basically given up :(

I miss him so much, he was like my child :(

Have any of you ever experienced something like this before? I just want to know that it was nothing we did wrong. I firmly believe that we gave him the best life he could have had.

Sorry for such a long post everyone

x x x x x x x x x

At his age there are a number of things it could have been, but he had a lovely long life and was a good age. I am so sorry for your loss :cry: x

My oldest bunny is 7.5 (and he is still here). You are very lucky to have had a bunny for 9 years so you must have done something very right and given him lots of TLC. 9 is a good age for a bunny.

I am so very sorry for your loss.

so sorry for your loss:cry: we are currently going through this with a piggie...shes 6 yo + and her back legs have given up on her.shes on vet bed in a very small cage,with plenty of painkiller.but i know this week i will have to take her to the vet to be pts:cry: she has pododermatitis or in laymans terms very sore swollen front feet due to pulling herself along by them:cry:
you did the right thing as old age is not something that anyone can reverse....9 yo is a very good age for a bun and he must have been very much loved and cared for:love:

Arr I am not sure about what it could have been, I am relatively new to Rabbit care.
Just wanted to let you know that I think you and your family sound like wonderful Rabbit owners. Sorry for your loss :cry:

So Sorry to hear your loss, my rabbit also had to be PTS on Friday very similar circumstances, she was also 9.

Struggling to come to terms with it, keep having doubts as to weather I had done the right thing.

I have done nothing but think about it since.

I know deep down it was the best thing for her she was in pain!

What you have done is a selfless and loving act of kindness, it is clear that you loved him very much.

I'm very sorry for your loss.

Maybe try not to focus on the 'did we do anything wrong' parts and just focus on the happy memories, the many years you shared together and the fact that you showed him the greatest act of love by letting him go.

Thanks everyone. It is said that time is a great healer so we shall see.

I appreciate your comments, especially about being good bunny owners. Most of my friends have never understood this connection we had with him. He really was just part of the family. I am privileged to have had 9 years with him I know.

Although I have never joined this forum as a member until now, I have looked at it over the years if I ever needed any information about anything bunny-related. I think I will try to post any answers I can to help other bunny owners.

x x x x x

Thanks everyone. It is said that time is a great healer so we shall see.

I appreciate your comments, especially about being good bunny owners. Most of my friends have never understood this connection we had with him. He really was just part of the family. I am privileged to have had 9 years with him I know.

Although I have never joined this forum as a member until now, I have looked at it over the years if I ever needed any information about anything bunny-related. I think I will try to post any answers I can to help other bunny owners.x x x x x

That would be nice and it does help to know that you may be helping others who are going through similar situations by letting them know your own experience.

Thinking of you.

So sorry for your loss. 9 years is good age, one of mine is just over 9 and he's started to slow down over the last few months.

I'm no expert but it sounds like it was his time.

Keep thinking of all the happy memories you have, time will heal the pain of your loss xx

Helllo there.

I am sorry to hear your sad news. I do think we are so very lucky to be able to make this decision for our pets. I wish we could for our humans too.

9 is a good old age and a credit to your care in the past.

I have an 8yr+ bunny at the moment who is starting to have serious health issues, including intermittant collapse of the back legs so whilst we are actively trying to find out what is going wrong, I do accept that it might just be that she is 'wearing out'. She only came to us a year ago, but she's a giant breed and so we know that she is not likely to live as long as some smaller buns.

I feel for you. But as has already been said, focus on the lovely times you've shared, and when you are ready, maybe after your studies, you can consider offering a home to some more lovely rabbits who will benefit from your love and care.

Helen

I'd like to thank all the new posts.

I have never really thought about having any other bunnies before. However, it is something I would like to do in the future. When I am settled in a proper job and have my life sorted out I feel I could really make a difference to some other buns.

Does anyone know if there are any rabbit charities I could donate some money to in his memory as such? I am going to have a look on the internet about this. That would be a nice way to remember him I think, by making a difference to other bunnies.

x x x x x

I'd like to thank all the new posts.

I have never really thought about having any other bunnies before. However, it is something I would like to do in the future. When I am settled in a proper job and have my life sorted out I feel I could really make a difference to some other buns.

Does anyone know if there are any rabbit charities I could donate some money to in his memory as such? I am going to have a look on the internet about this. That would be a nice way to remember him I think, by making a difference to other bunnies.

x x x x x

YOu could donate some to the monthly £1 fundraiser on here - it helps lots of rescues, not just one. Have a look in fundraising.

It kind of depends how you'd like him to be remembered.

You could sponsor a bunny (one off sponsorship is possible) with quite a number of rescues or sancturies. That would mean it goes direct to the rabbits and not in admin as it might with some larger charities like the RSPCA. By sponsoring you are actually connected to the rabbit in question too, which might help you now you are grieving. It would make a different to that one rabbit who you have chosen.

I'm sorry for the loss of your much loved bunny. I've only been a rabbit owner for 6 months, and we newbies to the rabbit world really appreciate the comments of more experienced owners. It's also lovely that you want to help other bunnies in memory of your own.

Sorry for your loss. It does sound like yourrabbit had a good life.

My first bunny wandered into our garden when I was 11 and decided to stay. He died 8 years later dearly loved by me and my parents. I didn't have bunnies for years but now I've finished studying and settled down I have 4 georgous rescue bunnies so I would definitely recommend you think about giving a home to another bunny or two when you are ready.

I think old age gets to us all in he end.Its so obvious how much you and your family loved him.I'm so sorry for your loss.Sleep tight beautiful bun xxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks for your kind words everyone.

He was loved so incredibly much and he knew that as I told him constantly.

I am looking into ways how I can help other bunnies either through sponsoring a bunny or a certain rescue centre. I'd like to think I can help in my own way.

x x x x x

Thanks for your kind words everyone.

He was loved so incredibly much and he knew that as I told him constantly.

I am looking into ways how I can help other bunnies either through sponsoring a bunny or a certain rescue centre. I'd like to think I can help in my own way.

x x x x x

You'll find a way to mark his passing in your own way.

In the meanwhile you could post some pictures if you have them so we can met the bun behind the story. Sometimes it helps.

Back