• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

CAT! Close call.

Cornishlass

Mama Doe
:cry1: :cry1: Looked out in the garden to see a cat! Smudge was free - so ran down garden hissing at cat - opened playhouse and blood everywhere! Panic!!! Found smudge felt him and saw blood dripping from his foot. Soothed him and locked him in - rang vet - advised to clean with warm salty water and see what damage. It was his nails. I think he was chased around garden and ripped his claws. He seems fine now - has eaten and is cleaning the area. Poor thing has split his nail lengthways toe to quick and the inside bit is exposed but vet said it could wait till morning - or will be exhorbitant fees as it's a Sunday call out. I don't know how I'd get him there to be honest - taxi to Bridgwater - cost a fortune!
Still, he seems o.k. now - just hoping shock doesn't set in. Will give him a snugglesafe tonight. Bless him. We are away at the weekend and I was going to ask a friend over to feed him etc but now will feel happier if he is away so will ask the pet shop who has a lady who boards rabbits to have him till from Thursday evening till Monday morning. At least I know he will be secure... :cry1: I love Smudge to pieces and feel dreadful for him. bless. Going to keep checking on him. He can't come in the house as hubby is so allergic just a moment with him and he is hospitalised. So I will in and out of the shed like anything.

poor smudge....on a positive note, blood always makes things look worse than they are:shock: but im glad hes ok..

Ahh poor little darling I hope he gets better soon. Is there no way he could come in the house? I am allergic to piggies but two of ours have to stay inside this year as they don't have their winter coats (long boring story). I have bought a new des. res. for them and they are in my sons bedroom out of my main areas of the house or I would have trouble breathing.

Don't panic! I know it was a very close call but if it's just his nail he'll be fine. Follow the vet's advice and if it doesn't stop bleeding put some flour on it. :)

Poor angel! :( Is he hopping alright and has the bleeding has stopped? Has he had anything to eat/drink since he was chased? There is always the risk he'll go into shock. Pop a snugglesafe in his hutch tonight if you have one.

In future though, please only let him free range when you're outside with him. Cats, foxes and even birds are a risk to your bun. Sorry, I know that sounds really patronising. I lost my beautiful bun this week though, and I'd hate for anybun to be injured or killed when it could have been prevented.

Yes, he's fine - hopping, jumping up and down from his box to look out of the window and eating brilliaantly. Phew. Have put a snugglesafe in the playhouse for him but he prefers to be on Cat-watch from his place on his box - so he can see out of the window. :lol: He is secure - but I still worry. bless.

In future though, please only let him free range when you're outside with him. Cats, foxes and even birds are a risk to your bun. Sorry, I know that sounds really patronising.

Glad he's OK. I have to agree with Hoppit, its just not safe having a rabbit running free alone.

Back