• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Moving litter tray and digging

Jenson

Mama Doe
Hello

Jenson has decided that its a good idea to move his litter tray into the middle of the cage, and the bite marks down the side. He still seems to be using it for wee and mainly for poops but there are a few of these scattered around too but he usually leaves some around his cage but rarely in the run.

Any idea why he might be doing it? Usually he just moves his box about, which is part of the reason I keep it in there because it gives him something to do but the moving the litter tray just seems odd.

He's also just started digging into the corner of his cage (and trying to bite it) although I've set him up a box with hay to dig in his run.

Any suggestions gratefully received. We're extending his run further today little by little till he can free range while we're home and cage+run when we're out (at least thats the plan).

Is he new to you then?

Limited space can make a bun rather frustrated, I suspect it is a combination of this and that he may not like his tray where you are putting it. Have you tried it in a different corner? How big a cage does he have and how much time out of it?

ours do this! hazel is very particular about where things go :roll::lol: and she is freerange:lol: i think they are just playing alot of the time:roll::D

Biscuit did this whilst we had him restrained in his 4x4 whilst Ginger arrived and so he couldnt come out in the same way etc.

I'm sure its frustration in his case, perhaps the same in Jenson's?

Hi
I've had him four weeks, he's not old enough to be neutered yet (he's about 14 weeks ish).
He has a cage with a NIC run attached with a plywood ramp to get in and out of the cage. He's only just started moving the tray, he has lots of toys of different types, unlimited hay, fresh water etc.

I really want him free range so he's only in the cage run when I'm out but my place has very little storage so I'm trying to clear out in stages. Really I don't want him eating the sofa from the inside out.

Plus I read that young rabbits were supposed to gradually get more space.

I forgot, the tray has always been in the same corner, he's just decided to move it.

This may be the start of adolescence and him starting to get more 'active' (for want of a better word :lol:).

He may be old enough to be neutered if he has bit bits descended and if the vet agrees he is strong enough. I've had boys done at 12, 13 and 14 weeks previously and found the younger they are the sooner they bounce back.

Thanks Sky-O. We're just litterally just expanded his run lots so he has new space to explore and hope to let him free range the living room soon.

He was at the vet on Tuesday for his VHD and I was told I had to wait a bit longer before neutering. I would rather get it over with as soon as possible so he can chill. That said, he's either chilled and relaxed or hyper!

Back