• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The Fenugreek and Baytril Crunchie ...

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
... so, what do you think my chances are of Esme gobbling it down? :? :lol:

The crunchies this time are big and really cup shaped, ideal for putting liquid meds in to soak up.

Good luck! How is Esme doing today? :wave:

I drizzled Spenser's baytril over his favourite veg, curly kale. He rarely gets it because of its high calcium content and wasn't going to let a few drops of baytril spoil his treat. :lol:

Good luck! How is Esme doing today? :wave:

I drizzled Spenser's baytril over his favourite veg, curly kale. He rarely gets it because of its high calcium content and wasn't going to let a few drops of baytril spoil his treat. :lol:

Esme ate the crunchie carefully and left the middle bit (the bit with the most baytril in it!) but I had a feeling she would go back to it later and she did - she ate it well when she went back to it, so she will be getting the rest of her baytril on crunchies as I don't think I'll have any bother getting it into her. :D

Esme ate the crunchie carefully and left the middle bit (the bit with the most baytril in it!) but I had a feeling she would go back to it later and she did - she ate it well when she went back to it, so she will be getting the rest of her baytril on crunchies as I don't think I'll have any bother getting it into her. :D

That's good - hurrah for fenugreek crunchies. :D:D:D

i couldn't cope without crunchies if eric ever has to have meds! i have to leave it to dry thoroughly though as he will carefully eat around the edge and leave the medicine bit if its a tiny bit soggy:roll:

actually, i don't think eric could cope without crunchies either......nor esme. i swear she could hear me rattle the tin even if she was a mile away!

I do Panacur on a crunchie but Baytril goes on bread, tis the only way I can get it into Nutmeg (without loosing a finger - even with FC's!!)

I wonder when they'll make a more palatable baytril. Bunnies absolutely hate it! Last time I had to syringe feed it to one of my bunnies he got wise to what I was squirting into his mouth, up until the point that he wouldn't lick or swallow it at all. He just let it drip out of his mouth :roll::lol: Luckily some of it must have got to the right place because he did get better.

Helen xx

I wonder when they'll make a more palatable baytril. Bunnies absolutely hate it! Last time I had to syringe feed it to one of my bunnies he got wise to what I was squirting into his mouth, up until the point that he wouldn't lick or swallow it at all. He just let it drip out of his mouth :roll::lol: Luckily some of it must have got to the right place because he did get better.

Helen xx

You can syringe up some juice as well to make it taste better. My Nutmeg still wont have it though.

Helen xx

One of my friends has been having dreadful problems getting baytril into her bunny, he won't eat anything that has it one or in, she's tried porridge, banana, veg, treats etc. He needs to be on it long term for an eye abcess. So she has resorted to syringing it into his mouth but he gets all stressed and hates it.

So I gave her a bottle of paediatric septrin which is just another form of antibiotic. One of my buns was on it daily for the last 9 or 10 months of his life (was keeping his jaw abcess under control) so I used to buy it in bulk. Its banana flavour and bunnies seem to love it. She dipped her finger in it and her bun licked it off her! She took the bottle to her vet and discussed it, her bun is now on this instead and doing really well. She puts it in a syringe and the bun laps it out of the end. :D

So I gave her a bottle of paediatric septrin which is just another form of antibiotic. One of my buns was on it daily for the last 9 or 10 months of his life (was keeping his jaw abcess under control) so I used to buy it in bulk. Its banana flavour and bunnies seem to love it. She dipped her finger in it and her bun licked it off her! She took the bottle to her vet and discussed it, her bun is now on this instead and doing really well. She puts it in a syringe and the bun laps it out of the end. :D

Last time Artie was suspected of having an infection he got Septrin and he loved it. This time when I was told that Esme would be getting antibiotics I hoped it would be Septrin but sadly it's baytril, because it's a smaller amount so *hopefully* would be easier to get into her.

It is about time they made baytril for bunnies though, fruit flavour would be good :love:

Helen xx
I tried every trick in the book for 3days but stressed B out so much that ended up taking her for daily injections for 5days.:(

One of my friends has been having dreadful problems getting baytril into her bunny, he won't eat anything that has it one or in, she's tried porridge, banana, veg, treats etc. He needs to be on it long term for an eye abcess. So she has resorted to syringing it into his mouth but he gets all stressed and hates it.

Think may suggest this to my vet,cant keep taking B for daily injections whenever she needs antibiotics.

Think may suggest this to my vet,cant keep taking B for daily injections whenever she needs antibiotics.

Good plan. I've used both paediatric septrin (banana flavour) and adult septrin (aniseed), so if she doesn't like the taste of one then its worth trying the other.

I can't remember why we initially swapped from baytril to septrin, I think it was cos the baytril wasn't controlling Charlie buns abcess so we thought we'd try septrin before we went onto penicillin injections. Initially the vet had to write me a prescription for the chemist to fill (Boots did it) and then he started getting it in for me. I think it cost more but the benefits of not stressing my bunny out totally outweighed the cost.

Definitely worth talking to your vet about.

Back