• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do bunnies know when its cold?

Snowberry

Wise Old Thumper
I am starting to worry about Snowdrop being outside over Winter. She has a playhouse with a snuggle hutch inside lined with fleece blanket and stuffed with hay to help her keep warm. However she spends all her time sat outside in her run.

Will she know when its cold and come in or should I start blocking off her run when its really cold to stop her going out?

Bramble always sits out in his run rather than going into his hutch, even when it's really cold. I think he much prefers the cold weather to the warm weather! We just cover over his run at night when it starts getting really cold.

Bramble always sits out in his run rather than going into his hutch, even when it's really cold. I think he much prefers the cold weather to the warm weather! We just cover over his run at night when it starts getting really cold.

Thanks. The run has a roof so its always dry but I worry she will get cold.

I think healthy Rabbits accustomed to outdoor living can cope fine with extremely cold weather as long as suitable housing is provided, that which is free from damp and draughts and protected from frost.

I would have concerns about a health compromised Rabbit being outdoors in very cold weather though.

I agree with Jane. I've bought the ill outdoor bunnies inside now (this year that consists solely of Wish and her boyfriend), but the rest of my crew are more than happy to sit out in the cold weather.

Last night, for the first time this winter, I covered them up as I do for winter and they chose to sit in the run, not benefit from the warmth of the covers on their hutches. :roll: They had the choice though, so that's what I consider to be important.

Mine seem to be enjoying the cold - they have plenty of warm cosy hidey holes and bedrooms stuffed with hay, raised off the floor and carpeted, but Buttercup likes sitting out on the concrete slab in his garden best of all :lol:

Spenser seems to enjoy sitting in the under-run of his hutch, ie. the very place that is not draught free. I've provided extra-straw and am considering blocking off the sides of the under-run to keep it a bit more insulation. He never sleeps in his bedroom, the warmest place of the hutch - he toilets there! I've bought him a chill-n-chew mat, which he likes. I will be buying a new one soon as he has eaten a fair bit of it.

Just remembered, Spenser's upper-hutch has a remobvable shutter. I've never used it but the time may be coming... I worry, though, that it may make his upper hutch a bit claustrophobic.

I know some people would want Snowdrop inside because of her health problems but she has been 100% better since living outside. She loves the fresh air, being close to Strawberry and the peace and quiet. She hated the house and hasn't had stasis once since being out (she went out in April).

I will obviously keep a closer eye on her because of her health problems but she is like a totally different bunny since being outside so I wouldnt want to bring her in unless she really needs it.

I know some people would want Snowdrop inside because of her health problems but she has been 100% better since living outside. She loves the fresh air, being close to Strawberry and the peace and quiet. She hated the house and hasn't had stasis once since being out (she went out in April).

I will obviously keep a closer eye on her because of her health problems but she is like a totally different bunny since being outside so I wouldnt want to bring her in unless she really needs it.

Just wanted to say I was referring only to my own bunnies, not your bunnies. You know them best and only you can make the decisions based on what is best for them, so please don't think I was saying to bring her inside because I definitely wasn't.

I'm absolutely delighted that Snowdrop has been free from stasis since going outside in April. That speaks volumes for itself.:D :D :D :D
Personally I wouldn't restrain her as long as she's safe in the run at night. Buns can keep warm by hopping around, & she'll get a really thick coat.
It's much more their natural rythmn to be awake at night too.

Right Snowberry. Thumper's 5 1/4 now. You are going to beat us with this horrible disease!

I'm absolutely delighted that Snowdrop has been free from stasis since going outside in April. That speaks volumes for itself.:D :D :D :D
Personally I wouldn't restrain her as long as she's safe in the run at night. Buns can keep warm by hopping around, & she'll get a really thick coat.
It's much more their natural rythmn to be awake at night too.

Right Snowberry. Thumper's 5 1/4 now. You are going to beat us with this horrible disease!

Thanks Judy. I always put her food inside and she always eats it so I know she does come in at some point during the night.

She gets a few hours on the garden every day and loves to bomb about or nibble on the grass.

If she is slightly bloated we have found a new cure (although it sounds slightly mean)- we let Bungle out on the grass and Snowdrop hates him so much she will run back and forwards along the side of her run and in and out of the catflap and it seems to shift the gas!

Thanks Judy. I always put her food inside and she always eats it so I know she does come in at some point during the night.

She gets a few hours on the garden every day and loves to bomb about or nibble on the grass.

If she is slightly bloated we have found a new cure (although it sounds slightly mean)- we let Bungle out on the grass and Snowdrop hates him so much she will run back and forwards along the side of her run and in and out of the catflap and it seems to shift the gas!

Anything to get them hopping Snowberry!! It does wonders for the gas!!
It's far too :oops: to say what I do to get Thumper's gas shifted!

Hun you don't need to justify yourself to anyone, especially as she is healthy and well, I personally wouldn't want to bring her inside either and risk her getting stasis.

This will be my Lolly's first winter outside and I am concerned a bit about her knowing when to go inside but I am sure when it gets really cold they will know to go indoors.
I have put the perspex windwos back into the sheds now and starting giving more hay in the boxes, going to start putting the fleeces out soon as well and when it starts freezing then I will do the snugglesafes.

Ive been wondering the same, mine have a nice cosy shed but everynight when I go to bed and when I get up they are always sat in the run in the cold :?

Back