• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what treats can i give my rabbits?

like i keep getting mixed reviews! the vet told me you can give them lettuce but people on here say you cant, i have been told that you must not feed them apples as its contains something that slowly poisons them!!! i love giving them veg but im confused on what they can have!!! can anyone list all the fruit and veg i can give them? xxxx:)

Who told you that about apples?

I think they are safe as long as it's very small bits, only a few mouthfuls (rabbit mouthfuls!)

It's probably the pips from apples that you shouldn't feed them. Mine get apples and carrots as treats and occasionaly banana too :)

I think it is the pips in apples you can't give. Is it cyanide (sp) or arsenic that is in the pips - not sure :oops:

A variety of safe veg is the best treat. I also give occasional bits of apples and strawberries as they are high in sugar. Not to mention they do get a couple of fenugreek crunchies each day :oops:

Last edited:
Mine love herbs and apple sticks as treats, and even dandelion leaves.

I have copied that list onto my desktop. Yes it is apple pips that are poisonous, Amber gets apple and carrots as a treat and I make my own bickies. I think lettuce is ok as an occasional treat but the green leaved variety not iceberg ( can't remember why of hand ) Some one with more experience will be along soon :wave:

I think it is the pips in apples you can't give. Is it cyanide (sp) or arsenic that is in the pips - not sure :oops:

A variety of safe veg is the best treat. I also give occasional bits of apples and strawberries as they are high in sugar. Not to mention they do get a couple of fenugreek crunchies each day :oops:

Yer thats what i got told that apples contain cyanide but wasnt told it was just the pips they said the whole apple but if your sure its just the pips then i can give them some and thanks for all the advise!!!!:love:

Back