• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How long after spay.... ?

thebuz

Warren Scout
Should we expect our little girl to start eating? She was spayed earlier today and will only drink water so far and has barely moved. We have Metacam (painkillers) and she is letting us pet her so she doesn't seem to be in pain. Just was wondering what is the norm before getting too concerned! :shock:

Anything up to 12 hours following a spay really. After this time I would be asking for some gut motility medication and syringe feeding to get things moving. :wave:

We have given her all her favorite herbs and hay. Woke up this morning and she has nibbled a little veg here and there but there has been no poos in her cage which I guess makes sense since she's not been eating. We are going to give her some critical care this morning and more fresh veggies. Is nibbling a little bit the next day good or should she be much more hungry?

Have you given her Metacam yet today?

I like my does to start eating overnight but had one that started eating at 2pm the next day (I was clock watching because I had given myself a limit for when to call the vet).

I find that often its the fresh green foods that can tempt them, and for mine, grass tends to work a treat, as do dandelion leaves and sometimes parsley. Do you have any untreated grass you could give to her?

We are just giving that to her right now. I did replace the veg with fresh veg and she nibbled at it. Fresh parsley and cilantro which are her absolute faves. We don't really have any way of getting dandelions here and the grass outside could be treated so don't want to take the chance. She has drank a ton of water though. She has only been out of the surgery now for 16 hours as she was done late in the day yesterday. When should we expect her to be moving around more?

If she was mine I would give her the Metacam and then see how she acts once that has had time to take effect. She may only move a little for a few days because its such a big operation, but she should start eating once the pain has eased for her. Fresh food is good, and the fact she has drunk a lot of water is excellent because the GA will make her dehydrated and also the water will help her gut.

If you're worried though, please consult with a vet.

Hi, I guess 16 hours after a GA isn't long to be feeling too perky! Drinking will help to flush the system of course so that's good. I would keep offering tasty bits - often waving them under the nose will intice them to eat them if only to get you to stop! My doe was quiet for a good 24 hours although she ate a bit overnight, I just kept tempting her throughout the next day, she was sleepy and rested more but moved around to wee etc.

If you are at all worried I would call your own vet and just ask for their advice over the phone.

It took one of my girls until the following day to start eating, after she had had another shot of painkillers at the vets, I was so worried.:(
But the day after that she was hopping around and looked much brighter. I had to hand feed her first to tempt her as she didnt want to get up. But once she was up and about she was fine.
Good luck with your little one, im sure she will bounce back soon.:love:

If she's not eating well and not passing poo then there is a high chance that her intestinal movement is not enough to make sure the metacam you would give is absorbed fully. If she is quiet, not passing poo and not really eating I would suggest a recheck at your vets. They can give her further pain relief and gut stimulants by injection, or put your mind at ease if she doesn't need anything other than time and TLC.

Back