• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Myxi

lydz

Alpha Buck
Im getting my new bun soon so have been doing lots of research so im prepared. One of the thngs ive been looking into is vaccinations he will need and obviously the myxi vac is one of them. I had heard of it before but thought id look at the history of the disease and symptoms etc.

I was really upset to find out that the only reason we have it in the UK is due to some stupid French man using it illegally to kill rabbits on his estate and it spread from there! Humans really do spoil the world it makes me so sad :(

Yes your bun will need a mxy vccs twice a year and vhd once a year. Ideally he will also need to be neutered and have a female spayed bun to live with. Where are you getting your bun from?

Does it matter when in the year you get the vacs? (i.e. does myxi have a time of year its worse in?) Or do you just get the first one when he is 12 weeks old then 6 monthly after that? Im getting him from a local breeder :)

Its a nasty cruel disease - They can still get myxi but they have a good chance of surviving if vaccinated...(see hawthorns / parsnipbuns thread)

No vaccination =:cry:

Its every 6 months - there is also the VHD vaccine which they have once a year

Does it matter when in the year you get the vacs? (i.e. does myxi have a time of year its worse in?) Or do you just get the first one when he is 12 weeks old then 6 monthly after that? Im getting him from a local breeder :)

any reason you are getting from a breeder and not a rescue may i ask?

If its 'cos you arent aware of a rescue, fair play, maybe we can help you find one? Most rescue buns are already spayed/neutered and vacc'd.

Just being curious and trying to help :)

Im getting from a breeder so i know exactly what im getting. I've seen the conditions she keeps them in (which is great) and its parents (very healthy and happy). Plus this way the bun will have no 'bad habbits' or problems due to neglect, which is important to me as i will be a first time bun owner. In the future, when i am more experienced i hope to get rescue buns :)

Im getting from a breeder so i know exactly what im getting. I've seen the conditions she keeps them in (which is great) and its parents (very healthy and happy). Plus this way the bun will have no 'bad habbits' or problems due to neglect, which is important to me as i will be a first time bun owner. In the future, when i am more experienced i hope to get rescue buns :)

fair enough.

Good Luck :)

Welcome to the forum :wave: You will find lots of information on here

From my limited experience I made a mistake going to a breeder, for the very reasons you say, you have expectations like yours of knowing what you are going to get etc but in reality I now know that I would have known what I was getting if I went to rescue, breeders sell off rabbits which are no good to them, too big, incorrect teeth, poor temperament etc, they keep the ones they consider to be any good to show or breed from.

That said I love my rabbits, I am glad to have them as I do not know what happens to them if they do not find homes?

Myxi is an horrible illness, another vaccine your rabbit will need is VHD

Are you having two rabbits?

Last edited:
:wave: Yeah I can definitely see why getting from a breeder is not a perfect solution, this particular breeder doesn't show and breeds to make pure bred qulaity pet rabbits with the aim of good temperment. I had my pick of the litter so i don't think she was only giving me the poor quality ones to pick from.

I was only going to get one to start with, but after reading lots on here and the breeder telling me the agouti ones are always left behind :( i may get two. I understand there will be issues with separating them until they are spayed/neutered, but I will have to see what happens

You sound like you're doing all your research and doing your best to make informed decisions, which is awesome.

I have bunnies from a breeder so I'm not anti breeder.

However, what I can say is that a large percentage of rabbits in rescues, etc, are not there due to neglect, but maybe due to a family being bored or moving, or getting another pet, or even some very loved animals that have only ever known love but say their owner got ill and couldn't look after them anymore, etc. I personally think you know far more what you are getting when you get from the majority of rescues because you know their personality and health status. Whereas from a breeder you don't know their personality, you just know what they are like as a baby (unless you get an adult obviously) but hormones can give a rabbit a complete personality transplant which you wouldn't know until after getting the rabbit and whilst all may appear healthy, that's not always the case for the future, or even in the present. One of my rabbits from a breeder has horrendous genetic problems that were not evident at the time to the breeder, but with hindsight all she was saying showed that she was breeding rabbits with this problem, she just didn't know.

I'm wondering if its sensible to get one from a breeder and then if you want another wait until after your first is spayed/neutered. If you get two now there is the risk they won't rebond once they are fixed which will mean you then have two loner bunnies and have to sort out that issue.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing some pics of your bunny/ies, and pelase don't hesistate to ask any questions you need to :)

Back