• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rapid Breathing-What could cause it?

Janey

Warren Veteran
I had to rush Peter to the vets this afternoon because he was breathing really rapidly. The vet couldn't find anything wrong (checked temperature, tummy, heart/chest,etc). Was told to keep an eye in him and maybe he had just had a scare. Does anyone have any ideas? He seems okish now, just a bit quiet, he's still eating. I don't think he was spooked, infact, when I first found him like that he was flopped out on my bed, couldn't have looked more chilled out.

Heat, stress, pain, are what springs to mind for rapid breathing with no pbvious cause.

Was your bedroom hot for him? I don't mean to give him a temperature, just in terms of being hot in the surroundings. Gah, don't know if that makes sense.

That was my immediate thought-that it may be too hot, however I'm sure it wasn't, there was no heating on and as the temperature has dropped this week I'm pretty sure it would have been cooler in there than it has been for most of the summer. It's all very strange. He seems ok now, I just checked him again & it's definately slower than earlier.

I did think about his heart, the vet said it sounded fine (I'm hoping he is correct). He's a dwarf lop so not a Rex, although I know this doesn't mean it couldn't be his heart.

I have found a hole in my new bed sheet, it seems when on my bed he had made a burrow under the duvet and dug the sheet so much he's damaged it, perhaps it was the fear of what I'd do to him when I found the damage;)

seriously though, I'm just hoping perhaps he was spooked by something and that it won't happen again-fingers crossed.

Back