• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to catch a stray rabbit

KoShiatar

Mama Doe
Two ex-colleagues who now have their own place have noticed and photograped a stray rabbit in their garden and surprise, it's not a wildie! It's a lovely white lop.
I suggested that they catch it as there's no way that one's wild, and they agreed, but they never had a rabbit in their lives and don't know what to do at all - not only how to catch it, but also how to approach it and care for it.
Can you please give suggestions and advice? I know some of you rescuers have had to catch stray rabbits and I wonder how that can be done.

I have no idea really how big it is and if they can block all routes of escape. How does a humane trap work? Can one make his own?

please phone the local vets to ask if someone's pet has escaped and they are looking for it.

Perhaps you could provide some shelter for the rabbit and some food and water?
sue:wave:

It's a bit hard for me as my ex-colleagues now live in another continent. :/ But I'll pass on the advice.
Incidentally, they've reported seeing many stray white rabbits in their area, which makes me suspect there's a colony from abandoned pets or worse.

I'd start by feeding the rabbit.. Leave out some food in a quiet corner of the garden, if it's possible, a corner he can't escape from. Then I'd use a ....I have no idea what you call them.... these runs made out of panels you can attach to eachother..?

Well, I'd use those, put them in a big (half) circle so the corner is closed off, then leave an opening in the middle, wait for the bunny to come back for it's food and close it in?

Takes some patience though.....

Back