• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you weigh your rabbits...

Do you weigh your rabbits yourself at home?

• Total voters
No I dont, they get weighed at the vets everytime they have their vaccs though. I can weigh them on my scales though as I have electonic scales but its hard to get them to stand still!!

I only weight them occasionally using kitchen scales, although it's very awkward. I usually put a few toilet rolls on the scales then put a litter tray on top, zero the scales and then add a bunny.

I often get them weighed when we visit the vets too.

not usually, unless they need monitering. They get weighed at the vets when they go for vaccs.
Just weighed them tonight though, measuring out panacur dosage :)

I bought some baby scales:wave:, i weigh them every couple of months unless i think somthing is going on,then do it more often. Its good to have a record of weights to check back on

i have voted yes, but i havent found them out yet since the move :oops:

i used to weigh them every two weeks but i got abit lazy and it went to once a month..

im planning a weigh in on Monday when i get some time off work :D

eta - i have postal/baby scales and i put them in the carrier to get weighed on the scales then subtract the weight of the carrier

yes, I do it every two weeks, every week when Heathers having problems with her weight :)

Heather also has teeth problems so a drop in weight can indicate that she needs them sorted again.

I weigh them by scattering pellets inside a reusable bag, the fabric one with kind of plastic insides that you can get from tescos, pop them in and plonk the bag on the scales, their too busy gobbling pellets to move :roll:

i know what they feel like when i pick them up so am pretty good at knowing if they have lost or ahem :oops:gained any weight...

They get weighed at the vets when they have their vaccs, and I can tell if they've lost or put on weight.

Every 2weeks :oops:
Honeys got kidney problems and use to loose so much weight at a time and were shes on diff diets/meds we needed to keep exact tract of her weight to be able to help her.

purpose bought baby scales and about once a month. I think it's an invaluable tool to a bunnies health monitoring. It can highlight an issue before any other symptoms become evident.

Last edited:
Sometimes if I'm worried about them. I find the best way is to weigh yourself then weigh yourself holding them especially if you have wrigglers

I weigh mine when I think there is a problem, if I can feel they've list weight. I have kitchen scales, I put a mixing bowl on the scales, put them to zero & put bunny in the bowl. Not 100% accurate cos of the wriggling but you get a general idea.

I've never tried because I don't see how what with them not staying still! I could hold them while weighing myself but I don't think it would be specific enough. The vet weighed them when they had their VHDs but I didn't catch what they weighed then, annoyingly.

I weigh Wish everyday. Everyone else just gets weighed at the vets for vaccinations but Wish needs super careful monitoring. I also graph and chart her weights because I'm a geek and I find it interesting. :lol:

I don't weigh Spenser, but I read an article about body-scoring your rabbit in a RWA magazine, so I'm fairly confident Spenser is OK.

Yes I weigh mine. I am very lucky that my dad is a scale mechanic for a big company and has an old scale n the garage he has had since i was little. its electronic and easy to use. sort of the same thing vets have. Giving the boys alittle treat they will stay there for ages. Found Bramble asleep on it in the summer as it was cold on a hot sunny day.

Have never needed to weigh Basil yet. He's had 4/5 visits to vet already in his little life and they always do it:) There may come a time though.

Back