• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Treats for my new Bunny?

chillybonkers

Warren Scout
I have recently acquired a new bunny complete with his best mate Dimples the Guinea pig. They were being harrassed by their owners small dog and she was having to give them up. Both are doing really and are inseperable which i find amazing as i thought it was an old wives tale to put the two together. Anyway, they have settled well and i have now managed to secure my garden so they can have a few hours each day in a large area for a run around (although i have to fence a small part for Dimples as large areas stress him out!). They love all kinds of cabbage, lettuces, spinach infact the guinea pig now turns his nose up at normal food mix! My question is are there any nice things i can give them as a real treat, they appear to like apples, and a few grapes but what will they reallly love to eat? Also are there any dangers to giving them fresh food (apart from the obvious diarhhea if they have too much)?

most people will advise against the keeping both species together, for various reasons including possible harm to piggy and that buns carry a deasise that can cause piggy's to become ill.

treatwise, be carefull with too much fruit as it is high in sugar, and introduce veg/ fruit slowly as it can upset thier tums (and as you said, some buns get diarhhea from it)

bunnies usually love a banana ( little amounts though), herbs, dandelions. You can buy bunnie treats in petshops like dried apple/parsnip/beetroot, carrot crunchers, and many rabbits on this forum love fenugreek crunchies

its quite hard, in my experience ,to give piggies scours... the piggie needs vit c every day or he will get rickets. piggies love all grass especially fresh (not mown grass)peppers, sweetcorn,carrots, spinach, broccoli,kale,romaine lettuce,chicory,CUCUMBER is their absolute fav:lol: pak choi..buns can eat these things also, but be careful with the sweetcorn as it can cause tummy problems so only a little bit...ohh and celery cut into small pieces, pears ,strawberries MELON is another fav of piggies but not honeydew.
coriander,parsley,mint,thyme are good too

thanks for that, I am getting a little carried away as they see to love the fresh food so much and i love to see them content. The rabbit (bugsy, so original I know!) loves his runs around the garden as I dont think theyve been out of the hutch much previously, will he eventually get bored even with this area? also he is a rex rabbit, having never had a rex before is there anything i need to know??

Back