• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Just for Pets

Tara

Young Bun
Went into the above store to get some supplies and noticed two very cute male bunnies for sale. The note above the pen stated 'not for indoors, must be outdoors'. When I asked the girl at the desk why this was so she told me that being outdoors was better for it's welfare, that it would be happier in one of their hutches (& run) where they would have more freedom and be happier.
Is it me or does anyone else find this totally wrong. Sorry was quite annoyed and had to share story.

That is a load of rubbish. They are obviously trying hard to sell their hutches at the same time. I would also check the size of hte hutches they are trying to sell as "enough room".

Went into the above store to get some supplies and noticed two very cute male bunnies for sale. The note above the pen stated 'not for indoors, must be outdoors'. When I asked the girl at the desk why this was so she told me that being outdoors was better for it's welfare, that it would be happier in one of their hutches (& run) where they would have more freedom and be happier.
Is it me or does anyone else find this totally wrong. Sorry was quite annoyed and had to share story.

She presumably has not read her own company's pet care advice:

http://www.justforpets.uk.com/information/myrabbit/

They are inquisitive animals that will become very tame if handled correctly. They are also popular as house pets because they can be easily trained to use a litter tray.

Presumably she did not consult the "person knowledgeable about the welfare needs of each animal sold" required by the shop's Pet Shop Licence?

Did she not attend her company's 12-week training course or the Pet Care Trust additional qualifications?

http://www.justforpets.uk.com/about/

That's not only 'wrong', it's pitiful.

I think indoors Vs outdoors is largely personal opinion.
If they want to sell the rabbits to outdoor only homes because they feel it's best then it's up to them. It's no different to if someone wanted to sell their rabbits to indoor only homes because of the cold, predators, etc.

I suppose she should have worded it less as fact and made it clear it was opinion but I don't think it's the worst thing in the world. :oops:

Of course, if they're not recommending a decent size hutch/run combo then suggesting they keep them in a hutch for 'freedom' reasons is utter rubbish.

Back