• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Blackberry is high on metacam DENTAL DONE!

Blackberry & Co

Wise Old Thumper
...I think his teeth are starting to play up a bit, so I've just been to the vet hospital to pick up some metacam (He's still eating at the moment, but just this afternoon started to eat slower and pawed his face a couple of times).

He's had his first dose, and I think he's a bit high :shock: He's hyperactive anyway, and even in stasis he won't sit still. But it seems to have kicked in cos he's just gobbled a couple of pellets.

He was on the settee with me and mum to take his medicine, and afterwards, as I was putting all the bits and bobs away he was jumping up the back of the settee, jumping over the carry case that I'd left on the settee, and he even almost did a back flip :shock:

He's got an appointment Monday morning first thing, although I'll take him in tomorrow if he stops eating.

Last edited:
Aww, poor wee darling. I knew he had trouble with his teeth from time to time. Is it just a case of bad luck, given that he gets them same five star treatment as your other lads. Please give him my special love. :wave:

Aww, poor wee darling. I knew he had trouble with his teeth from time to time. Is it just a case of bad luck, given that he gets them same five star treatment as your other lads. Please give him my special love. :wave:

He has a smaller sized head, which crams his teeth, and his back molars are incredibly wonky :(

I'm just debating whether to bring him and Butters in overnight.....

He has a smaller sized head, which crams his teeth, and his back molars are incredibly wonky :(

I'm just debating whether to bring him and Butters in overnight.....

Personally I would, especially if you have somewhere to put them - but I'm no expert. We had to do shifts when Spenser was in overnight to make sure he didn't trash the lounge. :lol: I suppose the case against is that unfamiliar surroundings could upset him more - but he has been indoors a few times, hasn't he?

hope he's ok:)

i'm on tooth watch at the mo with eric - last 2 vet checks have been ok but we both know the day he needs his dental is looming:roll: little monkey doesn't give me much warning at all tho....

Personally I would, especially if you have somewhere to put them - but I'm no expert. We had to do shifts when Spenser was in overnight to make sure he didn't trash the lounge. :lol: I suppose the case against is that unfamiliar surroundings could upset him more - but he has been indoors a few times, hasn't he?

Have just been lugging the dog crate in from the garage, setting it all up, bringing Blackie in (he hops straight into the carry case) and trying to catch Butters in the dark....:roll:

Blackie is now sat crunching pellets - but I wouldn't have known he was eating if he's stayed outside, and I wouldn't have slept a wink worrying about if he could eat or not.

I've got the window open so that it's not too warm (although it was quite snug in the aviary, and the heating's not on)

Don't think Butters is too impressed, but I've bought their regular water bowl, poo tray etc in so that he feels at home.

hope he's ok:)

i'm on tooth watch at the mo with eric - last 2 vet checks have been ok but we both know the day he needs his dental is looming:roll: little monkey doesn't give me much warning at all tho....

My vet originally reckoned mid September for Blackie's next dental, then when she saw him a few weeks ago after his vaccs she said maybe another month or so, so the awkward little*** goes for a time in between :roll:

He's now chomping on an extra bit of carrot.....the parsley pot will have been ravaged next.....

It's not sounding too bad then. Poor Butters, having his routine all upset won't suit him, methinks. I didn't sleep the night Spenser was ill, but every so often I would her, 'Spenser NO!', 'not in there Spenser!', Spenserrrrrrrrrrr!' so I felt I could sort off relax while I wasn't on watch. We had to keep in though, as the little monkey wouldn't eat - why should he do something boring like eat when he had a gigantic new hutch to explore ... :roll:

Seriously, though, hope my wee pal can be put right soon. :love: Butters will accompany him for the dental?

It's not sounding too bad then. Poor Butters, having his routine all upset won't suit him, methinks. I didn't sleep the night Spenser was ill, but every so often I would her, 'Spenser NO!', 'not in there Spenser!', Spenserrrrrrrrrrr!' so I felt I could sort off relax while I wasn't on watch. We had to keep in though, as the little monkey wouldn't eat - why should he do something boring like eat when he had a gigantic new hutch to explore ... :roll:

Seriously, though, hope my wee pal can be put right soon. :love: Butters will accompany him for the dental?

Well, Butters has just finished off the carrot, so he can't be too miffed. He has stayed in overnight with Blackie a couple of times, so it's not new to him. Unfortunately they can't free range - they're so small they would be getting into all sorts of gaps, and the dog is lovely, but I'd never fully trust a dog with rabbits.

Butters will stay at home in the aviary while Blackie's at the vets. He doesn't like the travelling. (Blackie always accompanies Butters if Butter has to go, 'cos he hates being left behind...)

I know what you mean about small gaps - I couldn't believe some of the blocked off areas Spenser got through yesterday afternoon when I was trying to catch him - honestly, he seems to be able to reduce his ample rear quarters to get through a gap of about 3 inches. :shock: I only just got him back outside before Mum and Dad got back from Yorkshire.

Blackie ate quite a bit last night after the metacam had kicked in, and had carrot before his morning dose.

Buttercup sat and glared at me for ages, so at 10pm I turned out the lamp (which had only been on dim) and he then sat and CRUNCHED the rest of the pellets - he was as loud as he could possibly be, which I think was his way of registering his disgust that he'd been bought in to keep Blackie company.

They're back out in the aviary now, so I'll just keep an eye on how much Blackie is eating through the day.

He is in the middle of his mid-day zonk at the moment! He was still nibbling bits this morning, and came running up to greet me, which he wouldn't do last night, so he is obviously feeling more comfortable.

That's good - Spenser was dozing when I came home from church, but managed to rouse himself briefly when I rather naughtily dangled a piece of Halloween biscuit in front of his nose.

How is Blackberry doing this evening?

Thanks for asking :)

He's been eating through the day, just a bit more slowly than normal. Luckily Buttercup will eat his share and then tootle off for a snooze under the gazebo,so Blackie can finish off more slowly without missing out.

He came in for his metacam tonight and had and extra fenugreek crunchie, which we broke into little pieces, as a treat.

We're at the vets 8.30 in the morning for his check up.

Sounds like he is being well looked after. Good system he and Butters have - many a bunny I suspect would have missed out rather more. I suppose Butters might have paternal instincts. Will be thinking of him (and you!) tomorrow morning.

Sounds like he is being well looked after. Good system he and Butters have - many a bunny I suspect would have missed out rather more. I suppose Butters might have paternal instincts. Will be thinking of him (and you!) tomorrow morning.

I think Butter's just stops eating when he's full :lol:

Here's what Blackie thought when I told him about the vets tomorrow....

BunniesOct2010001.jpg

Back