• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bouncers Modified Batchelor Pad u/d New pics!

Fluffers

Wise Old Thumper
We needed to improve our foster bun hutch & run set ups to make life easier for us over the winter and to give the buns more safe time out.

Here's my two foster bun hutches on the patio

Hutchesonpatio.jpg

...and here's one of the two runs we have for them. This is one that we made in the summer and which has been in the lawn since May (moved each day).
Homemaderun6-1.jpg

Each morning the buns have to be liberated from their hutches and put into the runs, then put away again at night. This is ok but it means that a) they are handled an awful lot and this doesn't always please them :roll: b) all thier "kit" has to be transferred each am & pm i.e. litter bowls, toys etc. c) we have to bend down and reach right inside Bouncers hutch to drag him out each time (he likes to sit in the most awkward place :roll:) which isn't easy on the back and d) they often have to go to bed early if we're going out for he evening - although the runs are fox proof I still wouldn't leave them out after dark.

All this isn't too bad if it's me looking after them but we're asking my parents to bun sit for a few days starting next Sat and I really wanted to make it a bit easier for them and less time consuming. So, we decide that Bouncers hutch should sit on top of the run we made in the summer and on the patio. We would cut a hole cut in the hutch floor and fit a ramp so that he could go up & down as he pleased :D

Stage one: Lid removed (and tarpauline placed on top so that Paw paw could still be out exercising whilst we furtled with it)
Bouncershutchmodification003.jpg

Stage two: Scratched heads and wondered how to make it so that it opened on the short side instead of the long side :lol:
Bouncershutchmodification001.jpg

Stage three: Figured that out, did it & then moved the run onto the patio, re-attached the lid and measured up the hutch ready for the ramp hole
Bouncershutchmodification004.jpg

Stage four: Almost done (Paw-paw supervising) :D
Bouncershutchmodification005.jpg

Stage five: Complete with Bouncer - although he's not looking ever so impressed. There's gratitude for you :roll:
Bouncershutchmodification006.jpg

Bouncershutchmodification008.jpg

Means that we now have space for both runs to be on the patio leaving the poor lawn to recover over winter! Not sure Bouncer is terribly impressed with his new neighbour though :roll::lol:
Bouncershutchmodification011.jpg

Last edited:
Bouncer sounds as though he has a lot in common with Spenser ... except Spenser doesn't eat his well at all and I'm sure Bouncer doesn't give that kind of trouble. :lol: How does Bouncer do on the ramp? It took me ages to trust Spenser was his because the mother of one of my pupils breeds rabbits and she told me Spenser would break his back on it! :shock: Spenser's run is one of those portable pen things on the grass, but I might be able to fit an arrangement like Bouncer's on to the hutch. I'm still hoping for that slabbed run though. Love to Paw-Paw and super-handsome Bouncer. :love:

Bouncer sounds as though he has a lot in common with Spenser ... except Spenser doesn't eat his well at all and I'm sure Bouncer doesn't give that kind of trouble. :lol: How does Bouncer do on the ramp? It took me ages to trust Spenser was his because the mother of one of my pupils breeds rabbits and she told me Spenser would break his back on it! :shock: Spenser's run is one of those portable pen things on the grass, but I might be able to fit an arrangement like Bouncer's on to the hutch. I'm still hoping for that slabbed run though. Love to Paw-Paw and super-handsome Bouncer. :love:

Well I made a temporary ramp for Bouncer but then a friend turned up with some 6 inch underground drainage pipe which I'd asked for a while back so we've sort of installed this. I say sort of because the only problem is that it's ridged on the outside but smooth on the inside and so he could slide down but not be able to get back up :roll::lol: So.... we've stuck some strips of carpet on the inside to act as little grip points and we just need it to dry & set over night. We'll see what he makes of it tomorrow :D

Nose rub to Spenser :love:

The pipe slide sounds interesting - keep us posted! :wave: I'm curious about the small door on the right-hand side of Bouncer's hutch. Is that his toilet? Spenser uses his bedroom as a litter tray - I've never known him sleep in it. :roll::lol:

The pipe slide sounds interesting - keep us posted! :wave: I'm curious about the small door on the right-hand side of Bouncer's hutch. Is that his toilet? Spenser uses his bedroom as a litter tray - I've never known him sleep in it. :roll::lol:

The small door on the right is hinged at the bottom and serves as a ramp :D Clever design which I can't take the credit for! The hutch used to sit on a chunky wooden frame and the little ramp was designed with this in mind. I only use it as another means of getting into the main section to clean out the hutch though. No Bouncers bedroom (&toilet) are up at the other end ;)

What did Bouncer make of the new ramp arrangement? :wave:

*coughs* errrm, not a lot! He got down it ok but then decided to work from the bottom up tearing out all of the bits of carpet from the inside as he went along. Then he sat staring at the mess he'd made at me as if to say "ooooh, wot dat fingy? How did dat get dare" :shock:

As we were out all day today (delivering Jester to his new home :love:) he had to revert back to his "old" set up of being just in the run without access to the hutch. The tube was removed :roll:

This evening we've replaced the tube with a ramp which will have to do for now until we can think of a way of making the inside of the tube non slip!

Any suggestions very welcome!!

Bunnies - they don't half get us at it!! :lol:

Oh dear ... :lol::lol::lol:

Hope Blackberry comes along and sees this - she's always got good ideas. I'm not very imaginative at bunny set-ups. Don't really trust myself to come up with something that will be OK so tend to spend rather a lot of money on my big handsome boy. :lol::lol::lol:

Some pics of Bouncer "helping" my OH Chris this evening fit the temporary ramp
(whilst we figure out how to make the tube Bouncer proof :roll::lol:)

Bouncer: "Wot you doing daddy?"
BouncerhelpsChris005.jpg

Bouncer: "Here, I helpsies!" Chris: "Pass us a screw driver Bounce!"
BouncerhelpsChris006.jpg

Bouncer: "I not helpsies, me offski"
BouncerhelpsChris007.jpg

Bouncer: "It works daddy. Lookies at me testing it"
BouncerhelpsChris009.jpg

"Any cawwots in there?"
BouncerhelpsChris010.jpg

"None in here"
BouncerhelpsChris008.jpg

"I'm off to look somewhere else for nom noms"
BouncerhelpsChris013.jpg

"Any up here mummeh?"
BouncerhelpsChris001.jpg

"Pwwweeeease mummeh, I iz hungwwy"

BouncerhelpsChris002.jpg

"Humf :evil: No nom noms no where *stamps feet* I'll just sit here in dah way til I gets sum noms den":roll:
BouncerhelpsChris014.jpg

This evening we've replaced the tube with a ramp which will have to do for now until we can think of a way of making the inside of the tube non slip!

Your ramp looks good - I'd stick with that and just leave the tube flat on the ground as a tunnel if I were you...... also easier to clean between foster buns that way as I wouldn't fancy trying to disinfect carpet inside a tube. Bouncer is one lucky bunster!

Bouncer's ramp is quite like Spenser's. :) Spenser's ramp was really a bit steep, but the design of the hutch meant we couldn't reduce the slope and leave enough of a gap at the top for Spenser to get on to it. He was very cross this afternoon because I dropped the ramp down and put the trapdoor on so that I could clean the upper hutch. I've just twigged that Bouncer's back markings are not unlike my little rabbit nephew's, although Bouncer is much bigger and more macho-looking. :love:

Your ramp looks good - I'd stick with that and just leave the tube flat on the ground as a tunnel if I were you...... also easier to clean between foster buns that way as I wouldn't fancy trying to disinfect carpet inside a tube. Bouncer is one lucky bunster!

I completely agree & mentioned this to Chris. I think we'll stick with the ramp but I might paint it to smarten it up a little ;) I was a bit worried about him falling off the side, it's nice and wide and is as long as it can be to fit inside the run and give a gentle as possible slope. Do you think I should put a side onto it though?

Bouncer's ramp is quite like Spenser's. :) Spenser's ramp was really a bit steep, but the design of the hutch meant we couldn't reduce the slope and leave enough of a gap at the top for Spenser to get on to it. He was very cross this afternoon because I dropped the ramp down and put the trapdoor on so that I could clean the upper hutch. I've just twigged that Bouncer's back markings are not unlike my little rabbit nephew's, although Bouncer is much bigger and more macho-looking. :love:

:lol::lol: Oh he certainly gives it the big macho act a lot of the time :lol: Start up the lawn mower though and he's a big girls blouse :lol: He's a little monkey at times but we do love him :love:

:lol::lol: Oh he certainly gives it the big macho act a lot of the time :lol: Start up the lawn mower though and he's a big girls blouse :lol: He's a little monkey at times but we do love him :love:

It will be really hard to let him go ... :love:

Spenser doesn't mind the lawnmower, nor any of the odd mechanical noises that come from neighbouring gardens. Nor does he mind the barking of next door's Jack Russell. What really scares him is the singing of a blackbird - he freezes, and looks as if his eyes are going to pop out.

I completely agree & mentioned this to Chris. I think we'll stick with the ramp but I might paint it to smarten it up a little ;) I was a bit worried about him falling off the side, it's nice and wide and is as long as it can be to fit inside the run and give a gentle as possible slope. Do you think I should put a side onto it though?

I don't think you need to put sides on as it looks like it doesn't go very high. If you're worried, maybe just put something along at the top end but you don't need to put a side all the way down - he'll probably either eat it or jump over it! I'll try to dig out some pics of ours so you can see what we did - I don't think there are any already on the forum showing the whole ramp.

I don't think you need to put sides on as it looks like it doesn't go very high. If you're worried, maybe just put something along at the top end but you don't need to put a side all the way down - he'll probably either eat it or jump over it! I'll try to dig out some pics of ours so you can see what we did - I don't think there are any already on the forum showing the whole ramp.

I second this! My rabbit nephew has a side on the ramp in his summer hutch, and he generally jumps off half way down. He is a much smaller rabbit though (a cute little mini-lop). He did ignore the ramp for a month after they brought him home, but he was only a baby.

Back