• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Worried about Donnie-advice please! - Update

mclaugh

Warren Scout
He's ignoring treats and letting me pet him, worried it might be stasis.
Not sure what to do, advice please!

Last edited:
12.30 at night over here and we don't have a 24hr vet near us...
Will get him there first thing in the morning just wondering what I can do for him until then, any advice welcom thanks!!! :wave:

Lost little Baxter to stasis last year, can't lose Donnie...
He's hunched up doesn't look comfortable!:(

Wrap him up warm in a pet carrier (with a warm water bottle if poss) and get him to the vets as a matter of emergency.
A non eating bun cango downhill very fast. Has he been pooing as usual? Xxx

Potentially by morning it could be too late.

I'm not advising you do this, but if that was my bunny and I couldn't access a vet I would be providing heat (such as a snuggle safe), I would give pain relief as instructed by the vet. I may also give sub Q fluids as instructed by my vet. I would provide a bunny buffet for the bunny to choose from. I would only syringe in fluids though, if anything, because I would be worried that if it was a blockage I would be making it worse by syringing food. I would also provide plain water and also water that was flavoured with something. If I was sure there was no blockage I would give Infacol (active ingredient simethicone) and I would massage the tummy very gently to try and make it more comfortable. I may also encourage movement, but that would depend on what I was seeing from the bunny.

However, Its hard for you to do anything other than provide warmth if you can't access a vet.

To be honest, we can't advise anything other than seeing a vet.

Could you call a 24 hour one and see what they suggest?

12.30 at night over here and we don't have a 24hr vet near us...
Will get him there first thing in the morning just wondering what I can do for him until then, any advice welcom thanks!!! :wave:

Lost little Baxter to stasis last year, can't lose Donnie...
He's hunched up doesn't look comfortable!:(

Oh dear :(
Ok if theres no way you can get him to a vets you must keep him warm, especially if he feels cold around the ears. Sit him on a warm water bottle or snuggle safe if possible.
Does his tummy feel bloated? Try very gently massaging his tum, if hes bloated this can help relieve it and get tum moving again.
Try and get him to move around abit as this also helps stimulate gut movememt.
Syringe him some water every hour or so. It will keep him hydrated and if theres a blockage it may help shift it. And keep tempting him with his favourite herbs or leafy greens.
The main thing is to get him to a vet as soon as possible. Hope hes ok :wave:

Thanks guys, trying to find a 24hour vet nearby now...

Have been tempting him for last few hours he was running around happy this evening, he shouldn't be cold as we're in spring over here so its pretty warm but will but him on fleece blanket now...

Will give him tummy rubs and water now... wish us luck!!!

3am we're back from the vets.
He's had sub cut fluids, no bloat anyway so that's good I think.

We have metacam, critical care and enrofloxacin to give him...
He's had it all in there of course this is just to keep going until he starts eating on his own again.

Going to try for hour or two of sleep and pray he's better in the morning.

No idea what caused this... Lady's fine and there's been no change to diet or environment.

Vibes for us please...:(

Glad u got him to the vets, well done you :D Lots and lots of get nomming and pooping soon vibes, Hope he is better soon, maybe worth tempting him with some strong smelling herbs like basil, parsley if u can get any. Good luck xx

Well done! Hope Donnie is soon feeling better. My rabbit had stasis a few weeks ago, and it was actually several hours before he picked up. Sending him nomming vibes. :wave:

He's nomming! Now get pooing little man so mommy can catch 40 winks
:)
Thanks for support guys! Tiring night!

Typical, I set out big bunny banquet for him this morning and he goes and chews on the phonebook first ignoring all the goodies :roll:

Back to his old self now though eating and pooping plenty :D

They like to scare us the rascals:love:

Back