• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

treats-how many and what do you give your bunny

it does depend on the treats.

I don't feed 'pet treats' any more, except for carrot crunchers which they get one each at bed time. Only natural treats.

Mainly, herbs and veg they dont have very often are good for treats as they enjoy them.

Parsley, Coriander, occasionally a small piece of fruit, apple/banana/a grape.

Fenugreek crunchies.............. they are like mad bunnies for these. About 2-3 a day.

Mainly the natural stuff though, like cabbage, herbs, carrot tops.

my lot have a big bucket of bits if dried apple, dried parsnip, dried beetroot, carrot pellets, fenugreek crunchies, the carrot shaped biscuits. They usually get about 3-4 a day.

I give them a few cranberries everyday and they freekin' love them :D! It's a good job Charlie has no incisors or I'd have no fingers !!:shock:

I got a willow treat basket and it's got dried treats in and I've got dandelion sticks..I dint give her too much though

I give mine one a day usually..... either a fenugreek crunchie or a carroty or something like that for brekkie..... :wave: Sometimes I break 2 up (because I have 2 buns) and hide them in their hay.

Mine are diddy though, and have never had poorly tummies so I would be aware of that, if your bun leaves messy poos, I would stop treaties and up the hay. :) Mine have several handfuls of hay a day! :)

It also depends on what treats they are..... somethings just arent good - like ones high in sugar, or IMO, yogert drops. Rabbits dont get milk in the wild, so we shouldnt really be feeding it to them here.... you know? My guys generally get the Science selective carrot biscuits, fenugreek crunchies, carrotys, burns dried carrot things..... or a peller or two :lol: Oh, they like the 'vegetable edges' or whatever they are called by natuals/woodlands too. :)

Mine get a small piece of fruit (apple, pear, banana or pineapple) or a tiny piece of carrot or broccolli a couple of times a week as a treat xxx

Mine have a tiny amount of carrot chopped up small and hidden in the hay in the mornings (I hide it while they are eating their breakfast pellets, but Blackie is wise to this now and crawls up my leg refusing to eat breakfast until he's had a bit of carrot first :roll:)

Then they have a fenugreek crunchie each in the afternoon, and I break 4 more up into small pieces (1 per bun) and hide them in the hay whilst they are eating the first crunchies.

Mine have a Wagg carrot stick each for their breakfast everyday, that way I can make sure that they're both eating before I go to work. They both come bounding in honking and chasing each other to get them so if one of them isn't interested I know something's wrong and can get them straight to the vet. Equally if they don't come bounding in for their pellets at tea time I can tell the vet that they'd been okay that morning.

I'm a cruel bunny mummy but i dont give him shop bought treats. I make my own bunny biccies or let him have little chunks of fruit about twice a week. Spinach is Lucky's absolute fave and i know they cant have too much of it - so that's reserved for special occasions. :)

I'm a cruel bunny mummy but i dont give him shop bought treats. I make my own bunny biccies or let him have little chunks of fruit about twice a week. Spinach is Lucky's absolute fave and i know they cant have too much of it - so that's reserved for special occasions. :)

Thats not cruel - in fact thats the kindest thing to do! Shop treats are just so not good for them!

:D

Every meal is a treat for my girls! They love a fresh handful of hay!

Seriously though - I have dried a lot of herbs this summer.....
Rose leaves
Rose petals
Dandelions leaves,
Marigold flowers
Apple leaves & twigs/branches
Lemon balm
Basil
Parsley
Carrot tops
Bramble leaves
Rosemary twigs

So basically a treat every night after their nuggest & fresh hay - so just before I go to bed I throw in a handful of assorted herbs form above - varying them each night. Thats their main treat!
They go mad for it & I know that i am giving them a varied diet & also its good for them so no added sugars, preservatives etc...make me feel really good knowing what they are eating!

For being a good bunny - like bum checks or if they scared or something...a slice of carrot or banana - which they adore....but its seldome as its so sugary.

Im making some bunny biscuits for an extra treat - but again If they eat these i will prob. not give dandelions, or too much apple leaves etc as they will get runny tums....so if bunny biscuits are given then more hay & less nuggets to keep it balanced!

Back