PDA

View Full Version : Blind baby?

Starlight
16-10-2010, 11:27 AM
I have a 16 week old here, and the pupil of one eye seems a slightly light misted grey, he seems startled when his brothers run past him, and darts away thumping.

Could he be blind in this eye?

Jack's-Jane
16-10-2010, 11:37 AM
Yes it's possible.

It is also possible that it is actually a ruptured lens as a result of EC.

Starlight
16-10-2010, 11:40 AM
That's interesting. If it was a ruptured lens, would baby still be blind? And would a ruptured lens be reversible? He will be going to see a vet, but just wanted some answers until he does.

Sky-O
16-10-2010, 11:45 AM
Have you noticed a difference in his movement from other rabbits?

We had a girl who was blind in one eye and she always ran towards what she could see, i.e. the seeing eye, which resulted in always running in a clockwise fashion, unless she had no choice.

Becky86
16-10-2010, 11:45 AM
Yep its possible sadly. We recently rehomed a blind bunny, baby Pecan and his brother Pumpkin (who is looking for a home) also has severe cataracts in his eyes :(

Starlight
16-10-2010, 11:51 AM
He seems wary, and moves along quite slowly, a hop at a time? I don't know if it is because it is a whole new environment here and he is maybe a bit scared?

Jack's-Jane
16-10-2010, 11:51 AM
That's interesting. If it was a ruptured lens, would baby still be blind? And would a ruptured lens be reversible? He will be going to see a vet, but just wanted some answers until he does.

A ruptured lens is irreversible.

However, it may not be that. There are other possibilities so a Vet check is def needed.

vee-jay
16-10-2010, 11:53 AM
Shaun, even though he is blind, runs about like a loony (even in unknown spaces, resulting in many collisions:lol:) he will also chuck him self off things :roll::lol: silly bunny

parsnipbun
16-10-2010, 05:50 PM
Yes it's possible.

It is also possible that it is actually a ruptured lens as a result of EC.

my thought exactly - I have a bun who had this at very very young age.