• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

my bunnies won't poo!!!

two of my bunnies who have free run of the garden both appear to be poorly. I took Stephanie to the vet this evening because i noticed she seemed quite listless - she has had gut stasis in the past, she had painkiller and metoclopamide, got her in house to observe and brought in Harvey her husbun to reassure him and i am noticing he appears to be same -listless not eating taking tiny sips of water, no poos either. ???not sure what i am dealing with.

Has Harvey seen a vet?

Are they vaccinated about myxo and VHD?

Is it possible they could have eaten something bad for them? Been scared by something? Have you changed their food or hay (i.e. a new bag or bale, etc) the past 48 hours?

No, Harvey not seen vet as only when i brought him into house did i notice he wasn't himself either, by which time they had closed. as they had stayed open til i got there with stephanie. All vaccinations up to date. yes new bag of hay but from same pet shop. Also bought bag of hay with dandelion n camomile from p.a.h. which they don't usually have thought it be a treat!! I am wondering too if they've eaten something outside though they have free run of garden all year so can't imagine what. Vet opens at 9am. just been outside and brought in some grass Stephanie eating it but not Harvey, no poops from either yet.

Sometimes a change of environment will make them stop pooing if they don't have access to their usual toilet. He might be holding it in. If you put him back in his old enclosure for a few minutes you might find he will go toilet.

Been too upset to post reply earlier but Stephanie and Harvey both gone to bunny heaven. Have no idea what caused it to happen, other bunnies all fine. Got appt. with vet tomorrow to discuss.:(

Been too upset to post reply earlier but Stephanie and Harvey both gone to bunny heaven. Have no idea what caused it to happen, other bunnies all fine. Got appt. with vet tomorrow to discuss.:(

Oh no - how sad.
Sleep tight littile ones xx

thanks for your kindness, i feel like the worst bunny mummy. Even with vets and treatment they didn't survive which makes me feel i should have noticed something sooner. Does anyone have any similiar experiences where both bunnies become ill or any ideas what could have caused it? All other bunnies all fine i am totally at a loss as to why. the only thing i keep thinking is if there is something that they could have eaten together in the garden that they missed all Summer?

The only way to know for sure is a post mortem which will be too late by now. Are all your rabbits vaccinated against VHD?

:shock: Im so sorry to hear this, buns are such fragile little things arent they. Thinking of you during this sad time. :(

Al I can realy suggest is doing a double and careful check of everything in your garden.

I'm so sorry for what you're going through.

Back