• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Heart Disease Worry

toria

Warren Scout
Hi,
I've been taking my 5 year old rabbit Willow to the Vet again recently as she has a Ecuniculi related problem - incontinence which flares up now and then.
Having got bad again, she was on a 28 day course of Panacur which hasn't really helped this time(and treatment for urine scald) therefore I took her back on Wednesday to see the Vet who arranged further tests for today, and then found she had a galloping heart...
So Willow has been in the vets today, having tests. I left her there this morning and to recover from any stress from the car journey, the Vet left it to the afternoon to examine her and found that she still had a galloping heart and believes it to be the start of Heart Disease.
I am gutted and very upset.
I worry anyway and now I don't know what to do.
She is not on any medication for this, as I have been told just to keep an eye on her condiition. She is perfectly OK to me, eating, being naughty etc. I'm more conscious of her heart now, but only now I know.
A scan showed the wall of her bladder was a bit thick so she is on Baytril for 5 days and I am waiting for urine test results to come back to see where we go from here.
It's the heart problem that has really shook me up. I am worried sick something awful is going to happen and after searching 'heart disease' on here, I find the posts that popped up all had very sad endings.
My 2 rabbits mean the world to me, I live miles from my family and my close friends and they are my family. It's me and them.
This just isn't right.

how sad:cry: ive not had any buns with this problem...so sorry i cant really advise.. have you got a copy of "rabbit health in the 21st century"?its a good bun book on health issues ,including heart disease.

Thanks for your reply.
Yes, I have got that book and read the bit on Heart Disease, I have also been scouring the internet and all my other rabbit books for any information but it would seem there just isn't a lot of information on the subject.
More upsetting to me is all stories are very sad ones.
I did read that a rapid heart rate could also be a sign of anaemia - which WIllow has been treated for in the past. My Vet says she has a galloping heart and I would have thought she'd have realised if she was anaemic again... I'm probably looking for something else.

I'm putting off going to a friend's wedding next weekend cause I'd be going on the Friday and coming back on the Sunday and the 3 and a half hour journeys are too close together. My vet advised against it.
Normally I stop half way, check on my rabbits, give them apple which Willow always eats and tries to come out the travel box. She is always happy and they know where they are at the other end of the journey and know their 'holiday' home very well.
I don't have any friends where I live as such and no one that I can trust my rabbits with here. I'd hate to leave them too.

Back