• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Just opened a bank account for the sanctuary!

abbymarysmokey

Wise Old Thumper
Feels like a bit of a mile-stone to set up a bank account for the sanctuary. I'm going to get a debit card and checkbook that says Wilford Rabbit Refuge on them...lovin' the idea of that! :D

My biggest :shock: moment will be when I have to decide how much I transfer over each month from my personal bank account to fund the sanctuary. I'm hoping £300 will be enough, but I have a feeling I'm going to be disappointed by how little that will pay for (this is only my 2nd month of keeping accounts so I genuinely have no idea how much the bunnies cost :oops:)

Wow How exciting. Glad you made the jump though Amy! £300 a month, My god thats scary!! And as you say, Im sure it'll be even scarier once you realise how little it pays for. I will make a little donation once I get paid, as it stands I have 48p over two bank accounts :oops: Good Luck Amy XX

£300 was the amount we started putting to one side each month. It was fine for the first few months, but once we became "public" ie built our website it started to increase rapidly. We now need around £1500 each month :shock: Good Luck :lol::lol:

congratulations and good luck- as Liz says once you start monitoring how much you spend a month on the animals- it gets SCARY!

Are you becoming a registered charity.

Well done and as doorkeeper says 'welcome to the road of complete poverty':roll:
Unfortunately running a rescue is always full of surprises as regards spending and the outgoings are always more than the incomings but at the end of the day nobody in the right mind sets up a rescue or sanctuary thinking they are going to make money:D if they do then please can I have some tips:D:lol:

Well done and £300 should be enough until you start taking in more bunnies
How many have you got that are sanctuary ones? and will you be taking to to rehome or simply sanctuary?

and have you got any spaces ??????:lol:

Well done and £300 should be enough until you start taking in more bunnies
How many have you got that are sanctuary ones? and will you be taking to to rehome or simply sanctuary?

This to me is an interesting question, because I have been told in no uncertain terms that any rabbits we had here before officially giving ourselves a name cannot be classed as sanctuary rabbits and only seen as pets regardless of the fact that they fit the sanctuary criteria :? I am certainly not saying I agree with this, but am curious as to how another new sanctuary deals with this issue.

It's a shame there is no rule book on opening a sanctuary, as we did it all be trial and error as hadn't a clue where to start.

This to me is an interesting question, because I have been told in no uncertain terms that any rabbits we had here before officially giving ourselves a name cannot be classed as sanctuary rabbits and only seen as pets regardless of the fact that they fit the sanctuary criteria :? I am certainly not saying I agree with this, but am curious as to how another new sanctuary deals with this issue.

It's a shame there is no rule book on opening a sanctuary, as we did it all be trial and error as hadn't a clue where to start.

Was this an official statement- we have never been told anything like that by OSCR, in fact we have had no real questioning of the animals we have- I suppose they look on the website but other than that I don't see how they could tell. Some of the animals we took in before we reached this stage I consider sanctuary animals- Cirrus was booked to be PTS 3 days before we saw her and in honesty if we had wanted another horse it wouldn't have been a dangerous, high maintenance animal like Cirrus. We only took her to save her not for our own usage.

Wow How exciting. Glad you made the jump though Amy! £300 a month, My god thats scary!! And as you say, Im sure it'll be even scarier once you realise how little it pays for. I will make a little donation once I get paid, as it stands I have 48p over two bank accounts :oops: Good Luck Amy XX

Aw, thank you Becki :love:

£300 was the amount we started putting to one side each month. It was fine for the first few months, but once we became "public" ie built our website it started to increase rapidly. We now need around £1500 each month :shock: Good Luck :lol::lol:

I'm definitely planning to stay small...not just for financial reasons, but because I run the sanctuary entirely on my own AND work full-time, so I can't have a huge number of rabbits here because I wouldn't have time to care for them all...plus any vet trips need to be after work, or during time-off-in-lieu of working late/saturdays.

How many have you got that are sanctuary ones?

Difficult question to answer. I've taken in a number of ill rabbits who have made a full recovery, which came in as sanctuary cases, but probably aren't any more. Also in some cases I've taken a bonded pair where only one rabbit could be classed as a sanctuary case.

Since officially opening as a sanctuary, I've only taken in 1 rabbit, so I guess officially only one, but I've actually got 14 at the moment who came in ill or at risk of being PTS.

The man I spoke to about opening the account said that community/non-profit organisations usually have 2 'start dates'...one when they actually started, and one when they became 'official'

and will you be taking to to rehome or simply sanctuary?

Sanctuary only...I'm definitely not going to be rehoming, which I feel quite bad about because Nottingham definitely needs a rescue which deals with only rabbits or small animals, because I don't think there currently is one :?

TBH I have neither the time or space for a rehoming centre...and I definitely have no desire to deal with members of the public :lol:

Watch this space...I should have a space when Marnie and Perry are bonded! :)

I asked how many as don't know how many buns Amy has

Re which are sanctuary and which are not..I think that's up to the person who runs each place to decide..there are no rules about it:?

We may all have opinions on it but it comes down to the rescue/sanctuary manager/owner's own personal opinion.
I think all Amy's are special needs/very elderly so all would count..

And Amy the man from Westley Aviaries was talking about you yesterday..you made quite an impression!:lol:

We posted at the same time..and if you do have a space there is that pair of 5 year old dental buns..if the ladies hubby hasn't already "got rid":(

I asked how many as don't know how many buns Amy has

Re which are sanctuary and which are not..I think that's up to the person who runs each place to decide..there are no rules about it:?

We may all have opinions on it but it comes down to the rescue/sanctuary manager/owner's own personal opinion.
I think all Amy's are special needs/very elderly so all would count..

And Amy the man from Westley Aviaries was talking about you yesterday..you made quite an impression!:lol:

I've got 25 at the moment Jill...so not planning to take on huge numbers in one go. I currently have a low mortality rate [only 2 in the last year] so intake is never going to be massive.

Ooooh the West Hagley man was talking about me? Not saying I'm a mad rabbit lady I hope? :oops:

Amy well done for going official, I remember you telling me you were thinking about it months ago:D
You deserve to get some recognition for all the hard work you have done, I've seen some of the rabbits you've taken in, some of them have made marvellous recoveries, which is all down to your care:D

Sue x

We posted at the same time..and if you do have a space there is that pair of 5 year old dental buns..if the ladies hubby hasn't already "got rid":(

Definitely don't let the owner have them PTS Jill. I can deffo have them here if they can manage a ramp (spare hutch will be 6ft over 6x4ft run)

Back