• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Just back from the vets

catxx

Mama Doe
Just to get their teeth checked (which were brilliant apparently, totally didn't look like 4 year old bunny teeth) and get Bob's little talons clipped, which weren't as bad as I though.

What Pat had though were tiny little mites, apparently relatively harmless ones which live half way up the hair. Don't seem to bother Pat at all and her skin looked perfectly healthy as does her fur otherwise. Bob had none at all - Pat must groom them out of him.

Anyone else have/had bunnies with these mischievous creatures? Anything you can do hygiene wise?

Pat also had sore hocks, still some fur which back combs over them. They do spend a lot of time on concrete paving slabs (they can hop about and sleep on straw though, plenty of softer options). As it gets colder I have put out some towels for them to sit on instead. Anything else I can do?

I would presume those are lice. Mine are currently being treated for lice.

Every bunny will have a small amount of these on them but the immune system keeps them under control, as does grooming. Are you going to treat them?

You will need to work really hard on the environment too. Lots of disinfecting, and for things that come out the hutch I've been using boiling water to tip over litter trays and water bowls and stuff to kill them off.

that's it, lice. and yeah, I already disinfect the hutch once a week, going to have to start being a bit more vigorous!

as they are merely clinging on mid-hair and causing no irritation and not bothering her I'm not going to smother her in medication and stress her out.

I think Bob needs to get off his paws and get grooming! Typical boys!

Back