• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Off to the vets Update hes gone.

milly100

Alpha Buck
Blackie has been very quite all day and won't eat his pellets or hay. He is eating veg though. So I am just about to take him to the vets to be checked as its not like him to be this quite.

Last edited:
The vet isn't a 100% sure what is wrong with Blackie. She felt his stomache, listened to his breathing, took his temperature and checked his teeth. Everything was fine apart from a little sore on the inside of his cheek which she said could of been caught on something he was eating. So Blackie has been given some baytrail and I've got to keep on eye on him. If there is no improvement in a few days I have to take him back and she will do futher investigation. Fingers crossed though that he perks up once the baytrail kicks in.

The vet just gave him baytrail. I just wish I knew what was wrong with him. Poor fella isn't his usual self.

It would probably be worth asking for some Metacam because if his mouth is cut up it is likely to be uncomfortable to eat, so the Metacam may help improve that.

I have metacam in the cupboard is it safe to give alongside the baytrail?? He had Metacam at about 11:00am and he had Baytrail at 5:00pm.

I would suggest consulting with your vet. The fact he has had Metacam today is a good thing, sorry, I didn't realise that.

Its my fault as I forgot to mention it in my earler post. I think I will get him some baby food tomorrow it he hasn't started eating any pellets. I have tried soaking his pellets but hes not interested. I have some science recovery but trying to get him to take some is a nightmare.

probiotics in the water would be a good idea too...also try tempting him with his fav foods..parsley always works for us ,as does baby food .we use the organic pumpkin one.

I have just been out and bought some babyfood. He has had some banana and rice pudding and seemed to enjoy it. I had to syringe feed him it and he was biting at the syringe for more. I am so pleased he has had something to eat. It may not be ideal but its something.

our bun vet says that when they dont eat anything is better than nothing...
one of ours only ever used to eat banana mashed up when she was ill, and a few days before she died she wouldnt eat them even ..but wolfed down a piece of chocolate muffin:oops::lol: the vet knew and said it was ok as she wasnt going to be around much longer so we didnt have to worry about sugar, fat etc:) glad to hear hes eaten something:D

I just feel alot better now that has eaten something. It wasn't a great deal but it was something. I will give him baytrail and metacam in the morning and hope he will eat some more. It such a worry when they are poorly.

Unfortunately Blackie died this morning :cry: I went to feed them this morning and Blackie was just sat there and he was cold. So I brought him inside to warm him up. He seemed to perk up a bit and had some baby food. Then he had what seemed like a fit and just passed away. I can't believe hes gone so quickly. I am now worried about his wifey bun Flopsy as I know she is going to start missing him.

Aww, im so sorry for your loss -hugs-

Its important you leave Blackie with Flopsy for a while so she can say her goodbyes.

I'm so, so sorry. You did as much as you could for him.

I agree that Lopsy needs some time with him to say goodbye.

Biny Free Blackie.

Back