• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

help please!! NAUGHTY GIRL

blu babe

New Kit
HELP PLEASE !! Blu babe my british giant house rabbit was spayed on tue op went fine and she came home , was eating and drinking , but like all spayed does was warned by my vet to keep an eye to ensure she doesnt eat her stitches x, all was fine till i left her to go nip the loo on the wed and alas on my return there she was sitting with an open abdomin, i imidatly returned her to my vet who this time stapled her and again sent her home with a bucket collar which she became very stressed with but it seemed to do the trick as she couldnt reach her staples. When i took the coller off so she cook eat and drink i would place a new born baby grow on her to stop her nibbling , and last night went to bed safe in the knowledge she could do no harm cos she was wearing her collar well so i thought !! i awoke to find my rabbit collerless and yet again a gaping abdomin she is in the vets as we speak being sewn up again:(
Please can anyone help as what i can put on her or do to stop her as she is going to end up seriously ill if this continues to happen i am so nervous about bringing her home which im finding very upsetting :cry:

Id keep the babygrow on her all of the time. Its much less imposing on them than a collar as they can still eat/drink and move around.
Hope the little monkeys ok :wave:

There going to stitch and glue today just hope its more glue than stiches , iv even got another baby grow at the ready but bim not convienced she wont get it off shes a big girl ha x

Is she on painmeds?

This is important. If she is not on pain meds then its vital she gets on them. She is likely doing this because it hurts, so even if she is on them, it sounds like she needs stronger meds.

ETA- she definitely needs them. If you think what pain meds a woman would have after a hysterectomy it might help put it in perspective. I can't imagine why on earth a vet would not prescribe pain meds for a rabbit after a spay. Mine have pain meds for at least 5 days after a spay, but longer if necessary.

i will make sure i ask when i return to the vets to collect her , on my first visit they simply said she didnt need them and being the proffesionals i took there word for it x

i will make sure i ask when i return to the vets to collect her , on my first visit they simply said she didnt need them and being the proffesionals i took there word for it x

You could ask them if they would like to be 'neutered' or 'spayed' without follow up pain meds.

She will need Metacam at the very least.

i have written it down and will take it with me , and thanks for your help im pretty new to rabbits especially house rabbits , and i thought i was doing the right thing getting her spayed , but wasnt warned by my vet that any of these probs could occur x

It is the right thing to get her spayed - some vets arent as good as others thats all.

Maia had a surgical patch on her belly when she was spayed. She pulled the stitches when the patch was removed (but the wound had healed so no problem there), but as long as the patch was in place, she didn't touch it despite not wearing a collar. Perhaps your vet can use something similar?

Please please please change your vet! They sound awful:censored:

If you put a thread up on here asking for a rabbit savvy vet in your area then your bun might make it to her first birthday. I personally would NEVER take one of mine back to a vet like that. And I really feel for you as you are just trying to do whats best for Blu:cry:

I cant believe vets cant be prosecuted for this blatant neglect to the animals in their care:?

I really hope Blu makes a full and speedy recovery.

Good luck and keep us posted:wave:

Is definitely, definitely the right thing to do to get her spayed, but it does sound like you need a vet who knows more about rabbits.

hi guys , blu is home with pain meds now but till has a large uncovered stiches so i have put a baby grow on her to be safe !! they gave her a injection painkiller just before we left aswell so that should help , they have put another collar on her but i think i will only use it as precaution of a night if she gets it off again or gets the baby grow off ill be stuck but its worth a try fingers crossed for me guys x:wave:

I'm so glad you have some painkillers for her :)

I hope she manages to leave her wound alone this time.

Back