• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

small poos but large appetite

tdsouza

Warren Scout
Morning,

I am going to be taking Socks to the Vet at 5.30pm today as even though he is eating plenty, happy and energetic his Poo's are very small. I think its due to starting on Fresh veg but I want to be sure.

Does anyone know if it can be something else and also what questions should I be asking the vet?

Thanks

How much is he drinking?

Ask for a dental check. Ask how his guts feel.

Is he eating hay still?

It might just be a quirk of him and he can be fine with smaller poos (some bunnies naturally do have smaller poos, especially as their diet changes and it doesn't necessarily mean anything bad).

Hopefully it will be fine :)

Some of his litter mates have sensitive tummies, so he might be not very tolerant to some foods.

He is drinking plenty of water, eating plenty of Hay (never had to fill it so often) and also eating plenty of grass (not the fresh type), Socks is also helping himself to Marshmallows food if he hasn't eaten it fast enough.

Socks appears to be his usually bouncy self but after Hopper I am not taking any chances.

It's always good to have bunny checked over if there is a significant change to their usual pattern or size of droppings.

As Sky-O says, smaller droppings can be normal for some rabbits. My rabbit Nino eats like a horse but continues to have intermittent periods of ileus at certain times of the day and produces very tiny dry droppings for a while during this period before they revert to large and normal again - we are aware and vigilant of his condition, we know the reasons behind this, and this is normal for him so not of great concern but is certainly something to keep an eye on. However for a rabbit with no existing history - any change in droppings should of course be taken seriously. :):wave:

If bun's droppings become smaller and darker - then the water content is still ok and this is usually a sign of increased grass, veg or a richer hay and nothing to worry about. Dry and small is the concerning dropping to watch out for.

Obviously vet is important. But during this avo you might find a few handfuls of grass/dandelions will flesh them out a bit so to speak! :):wave:

Thanks, I'll see if my sister still has any dandelions in her garden as my seeds are refusing to grow.

i found on my walk home last night a nice little nest of dandellions on the grass verge (just leaves at the mo) picked some for duke and he gobbled them up :) they werent too near a busy road either as then i wouldn't have picked them (exhaust fumes etc)

I went to the vet on Friday and he believed Socks had slight stasis and gave me gut stimulas.
Socks is still passing small poo's but he is now producing Big sausage shaped ones as well.
Do I continue on the meds or take him back to the Vets?

Thanks

Poor old Socksy boy.

Does it tally with anything he is eating? Do they know what caused the gut slowdown?

Have you tried taking his food right back to basics of pellets and hay?

I went to the vet on Friday and he believed Socks had slight stasis and gave me gut stimulas.
Socks is still passing small poo's but he is now producing Big sausage shaped ones as well.
Do I continue on the meds or take him back to the Vets?

Thanks

What did they give you and how long is the course supposed to be?

Any change in Sock's eating habits? Still eating well and not selecting food?

Re-establishing gut motility back up normal speed can take up to 2 weeks. Generally a 5 day course of gut motility meds will kick start it and get things back on track. It sounds like things are changing in his gut but the nerves haven't quite got the right peristaltic pattern yet - I'd personally give him a bit longer on the meds as long as he continues to pass something. :)

I'd focus on fibrous plant material to assist the drugs so hay, grass, dandelions, bramble leaves etc

What did they give you and how long is the course supposed to be?

Any change in Sock's eating habits? Still eating well and not selecting food?

Re-establishing gut motility back up normal speed can take up to 2 weeks. Generally a 5 day course of gut motility meds will kick start it and get things back on track. It sounds like things are changing in his gut but the nerves haven't quite got the right peristaltic pattern yet - I'd personally give him a bit longer on the meds as long as he continues to pass something. :)

I'd focus on fibrous plant material to assist the drugs so hay, grass, dandelions, bramble leaves etc

The vet didn't say how long he was suppost to be on the drugs but I did give it to Socks for 5 days but as his poos had changed shape (sausage)and their was plenty of output I took him off them but am wondering if I did it too soon.

Sock is eating, drinking and very bouncy and is now having Dandelions along with his Hay and grass

Poor old Socksy boy.

Does it tally with anything he is eating? Do they know what caused the gut slowdown?

Have you tried taking his food right back to basics of pellets and hay?

The sausage poos only started when I put him on the medication and I don't think its related to his food.
The vet didn't say what could have caused the gut slow down but I think stress as he has been neutered, bonded and rehomed in a small period of time.

Back