• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dodgy Poops / Random wee'ing n stuff - Worried!

Bitzy

Mama Doe
Morning all

Well I got home after work last night to find these:

Photo1218.jpg

(put my hand there so you could get an idea of size)

Photo1219.jpg

Photo1220.jpg

I'm a bit worried tbh .... I know they're both moulting at the moment which probably explains the fur stringing the poops together .... and they have been eating quite a bit of readigrass which could account for the colour .... but what about the size?? They seem very small to me!!

All the poops in the litter tray last night were similar, small and dark - can't tell who's came from who but if there's something wrong, then it must be wrong with both of them as they all looked the same!! :shock:

Also, I noticed that some bun has been wee'ing on their ramp ....... they've NEVER done this before, they've ALWAYS wee'd in the litter tray. They've also taken to just pooping anywhere over the last few days, whereas before they always pooped in the tray with just the odd stray ones ........ now there's little piles all over the place!!

Any ideas as to their behaviour and poop status?? They seem well in themselves and are acting normally ........ I'm possibly guilty of treating them a bit too much since their fight the other week, but other than that their diet is as it usually is (with the recent addition over the last couple of weeks, of readigrass)!

Any input would be really appreciated!

Thanks, Jo

I've had the odd stingy poo from Spenser, and I think it is probably ingested fur - not good, but unavoidable when you have a bunny who REFUSES to have his front brushed. Any attempt at this causes extreme stress to Spenser and I usually get bitten.

Spenser's poos are also dark. I'm not sure, but I suspect this is because he doesn't eat enough hay. I'm doing my best to get this sorted, but readigrass is all he will take. I've got two new sample packs from Animal Magic coming, so hopefully this will help. Do your bunnies eat hay apart from readigrass?

From a non-expert, they look very similar to Biscuits when he was moulting heavily, which oddly, also coincided with the introduction of readigrass.

The stringy bits, as you say, fur and the darkness, not as much hay, but the size looks pretty similar to Biccy's most of the time, although they have grown in size recently due to cutting down pellets/veg and increasing hay so the fibres im guessing have made them a little larger.

I've had the odd stingy poo from Spenser, and I think it is probably ingested fur - not good, but unavoidable when you have a bunny who REFUSES to have his front brushed. Any attempt at this causes extreme stress to Spenser and I usually get bitten.

Spenser's poos are also dark. I'm not sure, but I suspect this is because he doesn't eat enough hay. I'm doing my best to get this sorted, but readigrass is all he will take. I've got two new sample packs from Animal Magic coming, so hopefully this will help. Do your bunnies eat hay apart from readigrass?

Hiya, thanks, yeah my two HATE being brushed, although I managed to get their backs/bum done last night! They do eat hay as well as the readigrass but if there's readigrass available, they'll eat that first. So today I've just left them hay, a small handful of veg and a few pellets (not as many as I have been giving) - no readigrass!

Before I introduced the readigrass (and before their moult/fight) I was used to their poops being quite big and golden so I'm really hoping its just diet related and I can get them back on track pdq!

Prob my fault for over indulging them due to their moult and fight! I'm just too soft for my own good I think!

From a non-expert, they look very similar to Biscuits when he was moulting heavily, which oddly, also coincided with the introduction of readigrass.

The stringy bits, as you say, fur and the darkness, not as much hay, but the size looks pretty similar to Biccy's most of the time, although they have grown in size recently due to cutting down pellets/veg and increasing hay so the fibres im guessing have made them a little larger.

Thanks - Yeah they'll go for readigrass over hay every time ..... they're usually quite good hay eaters so will cut down the pellets and readigrass again (have prob been over indulging them recently) and see if that helps.

Any ideas on the randoming wee'ing anyone??

The fact that hair is appearing is a good thing because it means the gut is passing it and dealing with it. The small poos may not be the sign of a disaster to come but if those were my buns I would probably look to increase water intake to head off a potential problem before it starts.

You could try a bowl if you normally use a bottle, changing it super regularly (they seem to like to drink fresh water) and also adding a rabbit safe flavour to the water (also remember to provide plain water as well) to increase the yumminess of the liquid.

I wouldn't worry about the poos right now, just keep an eye, monitor and increase fluid intake.

The wee would also be something to watch because that's abnormal behaviour, but there might not be a problem. Is there anything new visiting your garden? like a cat? wildie rabbit?

The fact that hair is appearing is a good thing because it means the gut is passing it and dealing with it. The small poos may not be the sign of a disaster to come but if those were my buns I would probably look to increase water intake to head off a potential problem before it starts.

You could try a bowl if you normally use a bottle, changing it super regularly (they seem to like to drink fresh water) and also adding a rabbit safe flavour to the water (also remember to provide plain water as well) to increase the yumminess of the liquid.

I wouldn't worry about the poos right now, just keep an eye, monitor and increase fluid intake.

The wee would also be something to watch because that's abnormal behaviour, but there might not be a problem. Is there anything new visiting your garden? like a cat? wildie rabbit?

Thanks Sky - they use a big bowl just now and tbh over the last few days it does look like they've not been drinking as much! What could I put in that's safe and yummy for them?? I think I might start using their 2 small bowls again, one with plain, one flavoured, see if that helps.

Hhhhm not sure about anything visiting the garden, I've seen next doors cat a couple of times but that's been coming in the garden for months (cat moved in next door before the buns moved in with me). Will keep an eye out for def tho. There are dogs in various different gardens nearby and they've been quite vocal recently, I'm now wondering if this has maybe unsettled them a little!?!

I did notice that after they'd had their fight, Dizzi sat in the run and did a little wee but I thought that was due to stress!!

Is it possible all is not well with their bond?

I love Twinings Infusions for my bunnies (mint, chamomile and the red berry one- beck the berries are safe to make sure you have the right one. There will probably be more you can use but those are the ones I have). At a push and desperation I am naughty and use apple juice or cranberry juice (but freshly squeezed juice is far superior than bought in a carton). Something else I have doen is made 'banana water' or 'basil water' just by soaking their fave food in water and then giving them that.

Two smaller bowls sounds a good idea.

Is it possible all is not well with their bond?

I love Twinings Infusions for my bunnies (mint, chamomile and the red berry one- beck the berries are safe to make sure you have the right one. There will probably be more you can use but those are the ones I have). At a push and desperation I am naughty and use apple juice or cranberry juice (but freshly squeezed juice is far superior than bought in a carton). Something else I have doen is made 'banana water' or 'basil water' just by soaking their fave food in water and then giving them that.

Two smaller bowls sounds a good idea.

They've been acting really loved up since their trip to the vets last week after their fight - I have to keep reminding myself that was only a week ago so I spose they could still be a tad unsettled? ..... Although I've not seen any grumpiness or chasing or fur pulling!!

Yesterday Rascal was running circles round Dizzi, then she moved and he kept jumping over her then binkied all over the place - I asked on here about his behaviour and the reply was that he was probably just being giddy - and in love?? http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=249858

They both look happy enough .....?!? Although they do keep stealing food off one another - if I give them a treat, Rascal will run off, hide his then come back and try to pinch Dizzi's ..and occasionally vice versa ....... but I figured this was probably just normal bunny behaviour!?! The sooner I can get a camera in there to keep an eye on them whilst I'm not there, the better!

They absolutely love banana so will try soaking some in their water and will get some of the Twinings infusions you suggest. Thanks!

Last edited:
The fact that hair is appearing is a good thing because it means the gut is passing it and dealing with it.

This.

It's when your bun is moulting and you are not brushing them and not seeing any fur with tiny droppings that you need to worry! Ingestion of a certain amount of fur is quite normal and buns are designed to cope with it. High fibre - hay/grass and fluids (as Sky-O) has said, will move it through quickly without hinderance.

The fact that the droppings are dark and small would not concern me overly to be honest. Only dry and small droppings are a concern as they indicate dehydration in the gut which is linked to ileus.

Readigrass is an excellent source of fibre so I would not be concerned about that either personally provided bun is drinking enough of getting enough wet greens. It is possible Graham that the fur droppings you witnessed that coincided with the readigrass feeding was actually a positive thing and due to the fibrous nature of readigrass - as a large particle fibre it will bulk the intestine and stretch the walls - removing/pushing out any fur that is collecting in a sluggish gut - this is good! :thumb:

A bun we fostered who had never eaten hay before and was very short furred and not moulting at all suddenly produced a whole host of strung droppings after his first day or two hand feeding him hay - a sure sign that fur that had no doubt built up in his sluggish gut was finally passing out due to the bulking nature of the hay (fibre).

This.

It's when your bun is moulting and you are not brushing them and not seeing any fur with tiny droppings that you need to worry! Ingestion of a certain amount of fur is quite normal and buns are designed to cope with it. High fibre - hay/grass and fluids (as Sky-O) has said, will move it through quickly without hinderance.

The fact that the droppings are dark and small would not concern me overly to be honest. Only dry and small droppings are a concern as they indicate dehydration in the gut which is linked to ileus.

Readigrass is an excellent source of fibre so I would not be concerned about that either personally provided bun is drinking enough of getting enough wet greens. It is possible Graham that the fur droppings you witnessed that coincided with the readigrass feeding was actually a positive thing and due to the fibrous nature of readigrass - as a large particle fibre it will bulk the intestine and stretch the walls - removing/pushing out any fur that is collecting in a sluggish gut - this is good! :thumb:

A bun we fostered who had never eaten hay before and was very short furred and not moulting at all suddenly produced a whole host of strung droppings after his first day or two hand feeding him hay - a sure sign that fur that had no doubt built up in his sluggish gut was finally passing out due to the bulking nature of the hay (fibre).

Thanks PL, as always, very informative technical post.

I'm sure this will re-assure Bitzy also :)

never thought of letting them have herbal tea..... wonder what ones we have in our cupboard, definitely have peppermint, not sure what else though

do you let them have it a bit warm?

great idea!

never thought of letting them have herbal tea..... wonder what ones we have in our cupboard, definitely have peppermint, not sure what else though

great idea!

Room temp is best :wave: The favourites here are camomile and spearmint and fennel and nettle :D

great idea!

Be careful with the teas because they often have additional ingredients in and not all those are rabbit safe. I've never given herbal tea, just infusions. I give it to them after it has cooled.

Droppings to be concerned about!

Nino has very kindly offered to illustrate what a 'concerning' dropping looks like. It will appear very tiny and dry like these:
These are classic ILEUS poops and if your bunny produces droppings like this of this size consistently and it is out of character then it is important they see a vet asap :wave:

(don't worry Nino is under observation and has a history behind all of this - it means his pain relief needs increasing for his arthritis most probably)

(The first pic compares them with a normal sized poop of Nino's, and the second is against a 5p coin)

003-6.jpg

005-2.jpg

See, this is why I love RU because everyone is sooo helpful.

Thanks sooo much for all your replies, I'll certainly make sure that they're drinking enough and also that they're getting enough hay or readigrass.

Will keep an eye out for any other odd wee'ing behaviour too!!

Thanks again, really appreciate all your help everyone!

Jo x

whats the difference between a herbal tea and an infusion?

I was thinking of the boxes you buy at the supermarket which have one tea bag wrapped up in an individual wrapper and you just pour on hot water and leave it to sit depending on how strong you like it. I dont think those tea bags have anything other than the dried bits of the flavour; either mint, or nettle etc

katalax is good for when they are moulting.... our bun vet told us to put a pea size amount on their front foot (this makes them eat it without struggling:roll:),once a day when they look like the moults bad. this stops the fur /poop stringyness:oops::lol:
its a cat laxative stuff

Cat furball treatments are not generally recommended for rabbits because their guts are completely different and often what the cat ones do is just coat any problematical fur, dehydrate the gut and potentially make a problem worse or even create a problem. So use these with care.

Back