• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rabbit and small animal recipe ideas

tickles

Mama Doe
Where do you all get them is there a book that you can buy like there is for dogs.
Just wondered if any rescues did a booklet to raise money with lots different reciepes in for rabbits guineas and small rodents ?

You can get the Scuttling Gorumet for rats, thats quite good and has lots of information as well as recipes :) Dunno if similar is available for other animals because I have never looked

I would imagine all you can make for rabbits is bicsuit type treats, and that probably wouldn't fill a whole book so :)

You can get the Scuttling Gorumet for rats, thats quite good and has lots of information as well as recipes :) Dunno if similar is available for other animals because I have never looked

I would imagine all you can make for rabbits is bicsuit type treats, and that probably wouldn't fill a whole book so :)

Someone did ask me to do this, but as you point out there really is only one basic recipe with variations on fruit/veg so it wouldn't make much of a book :?

I make some biscuits for my two, and as said I use the same recipe all the time and just change a few ingrediants. So I'm not sure you could find enough recipes to fill a book :?

Do you how to stick the ingredients of herb type treats together without using starchy foods?

Sorry I haven't got a clue :oops: I tend to stick to fresh fruit if I am giving my buns treats. You could get those mixes from Pampered Piggies though, I made those for the buns in our local rescue and they liked them

To give you all a smile. I'm trying to make a staple feed for a special needs tummy bunny. It looks as though it could involve large quantities of KY jelly from the chemist. :shock::oops::oops: :lol:

To give you all a smile. I'm trying to make a staple feed for a special needs tummy bunny. It looks as though it could involve large quantities of KY jelly from the chemist. :shock::oops::oops: :lol:

At least he will be well lubricated for his poops to come out :shock: :oops:

I just want to know what the basic recipe is!

Just have a go, and see if you can work your own out beings as no one will share theirs!

I bake an awful lot, its my thing (so to speak) so I've often thought of baking things for the bunnies. Its their birthdays soon so I decided a few days ago that it was time to have a go. It can't be difficult, and there is a limited amount of things you can actually put in so my plan is to make the basic mix out of:
  • mashed banana
  • ground up rabbit food pellets
  • oats (either porridge or whole, or maybe some of each)
(Before anyone shouts, yes I know oats aren't great for buns but mine eat them anyway as they struggle to keep on weight)

I'm just going to start with about half a banana, then mix the dry ingredients in until I think the consistency is about right.

Then add some cubes of things for flavour - strawberries, pineapple, apple, nuts etc. Or maybe some veg - perhaps little squares of different coloured peppers, or carrot. Or some herbs - mine eat handfuls of coriander and parsley every day so they'd probably like herby treats.

Depending on the consistency I'll either make balls, put teaspoons of it in heaps, or bake it in a sheet to cut up (won't know if this is possible until I've tried one lot).

Then bake at 180C, until they look done.

If the first lot doesn't work I'll have another go, and change the recipe depending on what I think went wrong.

Lavenders birthday is halloween so I best get practising, will let you know how I get on. :D

At least he will be well lubricated for his poops to come out :shock: :oops:

I hadn't thought of that! I was thinking of how many chemists I could visit without causing raised eyebrows.
But without KY jelly, & the basic mix, you could make some good treats to help to keep the gut moving during moulting. Buns need to increase their energy intake by 40% to moult! :shock: I'd send you the "gut moving ingredients". :lol:

I hadn't thought of that! I was thinking of how many chemists I could visit without causing raised eyebrows.
But without KY jelly, & the basic mix, you could make some good treats to help to keep the gut moving during moulting. Buns need to increase their energy intake by 40% to moult! :shock: I'd send you the "gut moving ingredients". :lol:

:lol:
oooh by 40%...didnt know that - wow!:shock:

ummmmm....have to ask.....serioulsy KY jelly?:shock:

:lol:
oooh by 40%...didnt know that - wow!:shock:

ummmmm....have to ask.....serioulsy KY jelly?:shock:

Yep 40% straight from a very bunny savvy vet! That's why some buns get hungry when they moult.

Oh I've just got a problem bun. He can't eat mush - just pushes it around the dish & gets it up his nose! :roll::lol:

In human food the 2 main things we use to make mush solid by cooking are egg white (not on for buns) & gluten in flour & oats (fine for 99.999% of buns - but not mine :roll: He'd get roaring squits & stasis, cos his caecum doesn't work)
KY jelly is used to make a suspension of ground up tablets when we can't get a liquid form for buns.
I've loads of dry plants for him, but want some back up. It's how to dilute down eg greens/carrot with ground bramble/sloe leaves, into pellets so he won't get stasis, but still get enough nutrients, vitC & folic acid + reduce the calcium of his standard pellets + increase the water in his diet.
Last resort up my sleeve is gum Arabic (if it's still available & IF it's OK for buns!)

I've got brain ache!

I've just made a lovely sticky goo with oat bran hoping I can get some vit B into him. Goodness I'm scared trying out the full thing though!

Back