• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The difference some Metacam can make.

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
When I did my bunny rounds tonight I arrived at Candyfloss and Dusk and knew instantly something was wrong. My big, fat white girlie was lying flat out in the litter tray. She didn't stir for food. She then ignored the hay and went and laid elsewhere. She failed the treat test and then went and hid in the indoor area, lying, again, flat out in the litter tray.

This fatty lives to eat, so for her to show so little interest in food and actually actively walk away all the alarm bells were ringing.

So I did the standard protocol my vet has told me to do if any bunny is not right, and starter with giving the Metacam.

Not long later she's up and running around and is now stuffing her face with grass and pooing like a trouper.

Hooray for Metacam!

Thankfully I have four vets appointments booked tomorrow, but only needing three (was going to call and cancel the fourth in the morning), but now she can fill that slot and then the vet can have a look and see if he has any idea what is wrong with her.

I personally think keeping Metacam at home for bunnies is so, so important. If its not somethng you do, have a chat with your vet and see if they think its appropriate for you too (but remember to only use it within your vets instructions). For mine its saved lives, saved stress, halted illness, etc, and I wouldn't be without it.

Last edited:
i totally agree, i have metacam here all the time and can start them on it if i feel they need it. they are on it long term now anyway, but i've always had metacam, maxolon and zantac here. (after vets advice etc) :)

hope she will be ok. :wave:

I have had the same situation. And when they make that fantastic miracuolous recovery, i wonder , was it the metacam i gave them or would they have got better anyway after a good tummuy rub whilst administering metacam?
we will never really know, but i remember 10 years or more when it was invented how good it was for my old dog
I wish i had a pint of it in my fridge.
10mls can be used up easily

I also always have some. It is handy to have when you have a bun with health issues.

Just glad that the vet agrees that i know what i am doing!

My vets won't even give it with an illness-as the magic injections contain pain relief-and he normally has you back the next day or so anyway. I've tried! It's annoying as he's fantastic with everything and I trust him totally. I've used other vets before who will willingly let you take metacam home, and even let me administer metaclop jabs and sub q fluids-but the rest of their treatment and knowledge was pitiful. So i'm kind of caught between using a naff vet who will give supplies or a great vet who won't. Hmmm.

Back