• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Landlords opinions of rabbits

lydz

Alpha Buck
We are going to be moving into rented accommodation at some point and i wondered how landlords reacted when you asked if it was ok to have a rabbit? I assume an outdoor rabbit would be more likely to be acceptable?

Thanks in advance :)

they don't seem to mind them outside.

we aren't allowed them in here, but have anyway :oops:

just enquired about a few houses this last few days and only one so far has said no to them being inside. :)

we always offer an extra bond for the pets aswell, although both have said they would only need an extra bond for cats and dogs.

i do think the nicer the area, the more they seem to say no. :?

Umm I didnt ask the first one as I knew they would say NO :oops:, the place im in now he was absolutely fine as long as we pay for any damages! He was actually interested in them and asking loads of questions :D When I see him - he always asks after the buns!

ring him then if he sounds doughtful then you can change the way of asking and if he has doubts he can ask you questions too. :)

they don't seem to mind them outside.

we aren't allowed them in here, but have anyway :oops:

just enquired about a few houses this last few days and only one so far has said no to them being inside. :)

we always offer an extra bond for the pets aswell, although both have said they would only need an extra bond for cats and dogs.

i do think the nicer the area, the more they seem to say no. :?

I also found the nicer areas said no to the pets. I don't get it kids cause way more damage but they never say no kids :roll:

When I asked in the nicer areas they said just one or two outside would be ok but no more and not inside. My landlord now really doesn't care though

I allow rabbits indoors, but it's my daughter that rents the house from us;) When I previously rented the property I didn't allow pets:D

My landlord only says one inside because my previous landlord mentioned they'd chewed all the skirting boards :shock:

But I'm allowed as many as I want outside, it's a man and a woman agent who run the household, and the woman's sister has five bunnies in a massive shed so the woman is quite up to date on rabbit care and needs. :)

I find that it depends on whether they accept DSS or not, If they accept DSS they say no to pets, but if they don't they say yes. Doesn't bother me, my OH works :lol:

My landlord doesnt know. We did write to him and ask if we could have a cat and never got a reply, but decided on a bunny in the end.

We are going to be moving into rented accommodation at some point and i wondered how landlords reacted when you asked if it was ok to have a rabbit? I assume an outdoor rabbit would be more likely to be acceptable?

Thanks in advance :)

It depends on your landlord. My last two landlords have been happy with indoor rabbits.

didnt tell my landlady, she knows about my 2 dogs, 4 of my 6 chinchillas & 4 degus & 2 hamsters but not the gerbils as they are very recent lol...:)

You all seem to have great landlords! My landlord is a nice guy but he is very house proud, so i genuinely dont know what his answer would be :s

I also found the nicer areas said no to the pets. I don't get it kids cause way more damage but they never say no kids

Kids DON'T cause more damage then rabbits! As much as I love my rabbits, they have caused far more damage then my kids ever have (and they are aged 5 and 2!).
I wish people would stop giving kids a hard time on this website! Some landlords do say no to kids actually, as do holiday homes etc.

My landlord is easy going really, and our rabbits have made huge holes all over the garden...wonderful!:roll:

I also found the nicer areas said no to the pets. I don't get it kids cause way more damage but they never say no kids

Kids DON'T cause more damage then rabbits! As much as I love my rabbits, they have caused far more damage then my kids ever have (and they are aged 5 and 2!).
I wish people would stop giving kids a hard time on this website! Some landlords do say no to kids actually, as do holiday homes etc.

My landlord is easy going really, and our rabbits have made huge holes all over the garden...wonderful!:roll:

I know a person who has children and a landlord put them though hell, as they kept coming around to check the house and this put a strain on the parents who were afraid to let the children play in case they damaged anything. They were also told that they could not use stair gates.

Quote: 'I wish people would stop giving kids a hard time on this website!' Where? (apart from it being mentioned once in this thread). As far as I can see, folks are always delighted to hear about babies being born, etc.

I havnt asked my landlord but when i had my cats I rang him before and he said along as I look after them then he don't mind but he doesn't bother coming round at all or anything but she hasn't really made much damage and I'm going to be decorating this nxt month so will cover up anything up
:)

My landlord was fine with outside rabbits. I rang him last year to see if I could bring Grim inside as he was unwell and he was more than happy to let me and always asks after him. :)

Back