• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Will they always be difficult to handle?

my two bunnys have been outside all summer and while its great for them and they are still really friendly, im moving them indoors the end of this month for the winter and it seems they are really funny at being handled they used to be fine and snuggled all the time but now when they run loose they run away from me and are really difficult to pick up. what can i do to get them back to all soppy again????

Were your buns youngsters at the beginning of the summer? ... It sounds like they have grown up! It looks like they are happy with their outdoor life, and have grown independent over the summer! Rabbits do not like being picked up, they much prefer you to get down to their level.
If your buns have been outside all summer, it is not always necessary to uproot them and bring them indoors. If they have good outdoor accommodation, where they can cuddle up in the warm and dry with a good large box of hay, then they will grow enough winter coat during the autumn months to be happy outside.
Have a browse through the site, and see what advice you can find about overwintering outside... you will be surprised at how much bunnies like to play in the snow... etc!

Last edited:
My bunny has never liked cuddles, but he was 7 months old when I adopted him. I've learned to accept this, and be grateful that he does let me pet him as long as all four paws are on the ground. He only comes running for food. :lol: At the moment he is having indoor play occasionally as he dislikes damp paws, but this will be more difficult in the winter as change in temperature can be dangerous for bunnies.

i used to house them indoors they were 10months when they were moved outside. they were not able to roam free in garden as its not secure so they havent had as much interaction as they did with me before they went outside. And i worry that they will have even less as the winter hits in! the plan is to have a large hutch in the conservatory where i can let them will be able to roam around and i could then be able to have more interaction with them but im worried that the time has past and they will always keep there distance from me! its so upsetting as they are my babies and do come up to me in the cage for nudges and treats but i feel like they are nervous if there isnt a cage seperating us! will they improve? or am i making it worse? xxx

I'm pretty new to bunnies, but to be honest I think it depends on the temperament of the bunnies as much as anything else. I have a conservatory plan too for the winter (one of various options). From what I read on here and in rabbit magazines, bunnies can learn to trust at an older age, but it can often be a sign of insecurity - Spenser was very cuddly when he was ill with stasis. Try not to let your anxiety show as they will pick up on it and possibly be more inclined to keep their distance.

Thankyou so much i will try to relax a bit more i think i was expecting too much from them! half of me knew it wouldnt be exactly as before but i didnt think it would be this different especially as when i have had to get in their cage for maintenance they dont run away they climb all over me really curious as to what im doing but like i said not like that outside the cage but thanx for all the advice xxx

Back