• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone got a webcam in their hutch?

Dantooine

Young Bun
Hi, I was wondering if anyone had a webcam in their hutch (outside as opposed to indoors)?

If so how did you go about setting it up - wireless or wired webcam? Mains or battery/rechargable?

I would like to set this up as cheap as possible so we can view the cam away from the house (ie at work!)

Bear in mind I know very little about webcam technology!

Thanks in advance :)

Depending on how close the hutch is to the house, i'd go for a recharable wireless cam. I have a powered IP cam for home which i'm going to be setting up for exactly the same reason, so i can check on buns when im out of the county for 2 days/mo.

It does depend on if you have wireless at home, and distance from the router of your hutch though. Cabling it would not be much fun, you'd need trunked external grade cable, which wouldn't be much fun for your wallet/purse...

I have, my OH set it up though. It is a Ycam and brilliant, we were in France a few weeks ago and I could check on the buns!

Ours is mains as we have power in the shed and it is then a wireless internet connection. Don't really understand how it works but it does!

I think the Ycam website might have the info you need. We bought the protective shell and black ycam, it has infra red so works in the dark as well. I think it cost about £150.

Last edited:
Sounds like a fabulous- idea- I'll be setting these up if i can get something that is wireless and can attach easily to my outdoor hutches. x

Oooh we were talking about this, so that I can check on them when I'm not there!!!

Off to have a nosey at the Ycam website now!

x

Yes we do have wireless and hutch is right outside the back door on the patio, so should work.
Does anyone got any links to the cameras you use? Having trouble finding suitable ones searching the web.

Depending on how close the hutch is to the house, i'd go for a recharable wireless cam. I have a powered IP cam for home which i'm going to be setting up for exactly the same reason, so i can check on buns when im out of the county for 2 days/mo.

It does depend on if you have wireless at home, and distance from the router of your hutch though. Cabling it would not be much fun, you'd need trunked external grade cable, which wouldn't be much fun for your wallet/purse...

I can't believe I only understood around 20% of that.
I'm such a technitard!

That doesnt seem a bad price - are you able to stream live and view on a computer elsewhere with this one?

not 100% sure yet, i've not set it up :roll:

It's been sat in my office waiting for me to do it, but it claims to do AVI video recordings and still JPEG images and this from its tech specs...

"This Internet Camera allows multiple users login to view live video simultaneously"

and

"Support Windows-based and Web-based Monitoring Utility- These tools allow users to access the Internet Camera from a remote site via Intranet or Internet"

So i hope so :lol:

I have, my OH set it up though. It is a Ycam and brilliant, we were in France a few weeks ago and I could check on the buns!

Ours is mains as we have power in the shed and it is then a wireless internet connection. Don't really understand how it works but it does!

I think the Ycam website might have the info you need. We bought the protective shell and black ycam, it has infra red so works in the dark as well. I think it cost about £150.

Do you know which model you went for? There seems to be loads!

Oh, where in hertfordshire are you?

It's been sat in my office waiting for me to do it, but it claims to do AVI video recordings and still JPEG images and this from its tech specs...

"This Internet Camera allows multiple users login to view live video simultaneously"

and

"Support Windows-based and Web-based Monitoring Utility- These tools allow users to access the Internet Camera from a remote site via Intranet or Internet"

Thanks, seems it will then!

and

That sounds good.

Our aviary is about 10ft away from our patio doors in the dining room and the router is in the living room, so prob about 30ft - 40ft altogether away from the aviary.

How often would this need recharging (roughly)??

Just realised one problem I'll have is mains power - Can't seem to find any rechargeable ones.

Last edited:
Back