• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lavender

Tiabrac

Alpha Buck
I am sure I read somewhere here that lavender causes breathing problems yet I have also seen today that it is on the safe list :? I have lots in the garden is it safe for them or not? How do you give it the whole stem or just the tips? I would be grateful for any advice.:)

i have some in my garden but my buns havent touched it, its about the only thing they havent eaten (yet) :shock::lol:

http://www.healthypetcorner.com/rabbit.html

I found this link,,,,though I did read somewhere that you should feed in moderation as it can slow the heart rate down....could be wrong...but thats what I recall....to be honest I feed in moderation & they are not overly excited about it but enjoy a little nibble.....perhaps spmepne will come and have more insight...I had a look at Galens Garden but couldnt find anything about lavender.....:?:)

http://www.healthypetcorner.com/rabbit.html

I found this link,,,,though I did read somewhere that you should feed in moderation as it can slow the heart rate down....could be wrong...but thats what I recall....to be honest I feed in moderation & they are not overly excited about it but enjoy a little nibble.....perhaps spmepne will come and have more insight...I had a look at Galens Garden but couldnt find anything about lavender.....:?:)

Thank you I had a look at the site it's very good thank you. :):)

i have some in my garden but my buns havent touched it, its about the only thing they havent eaten (yet) :shock::lol:

:shock::shock::shock:I USED to have a huge lavender bush in my garden-until the bunnies came along-they have completely decimated it.All of them go mad for lavender.I havent had any problems with it causing illness-infact I used it to encourage a bunny recovering from stasis to eat :?

Didn't get round to giving them it last night they had apple branches instead, going to try it tonight :)

I picked some for Basil today, he doesn't get loads, but I hope a little keeps him calmer:lol: Hope yours enjoy it -it does take a bit of getting used to:)

Didn't get round to giving them it last night they had apple branches instead, going to try it tonight :)

Well just to update Tia and Bracken devoured it Lotto didn't care for it much neither did the guineas but everywhere smells lovely :)

Thank you for all the advice. :)

which bits did you feed them?

outs has now flowers left on it now but i might try just picking one leaf and trying Duke..... discovered he really doesnt like grapes (peeled or unpeeled) and I wanted to try him with something different just fro a bit of a change - just need to be careful with his tum :)

I've grown it in pots around my hutches for the past few years as not only can the bunnies eat it, but the smell is meant to deter some flying insects (apparently, and not bees, the bees like it lots!)... It's used to relax people, though, so it probably has the same effect on bunnies and that's why it can slow their heartrates down? I've never heard of it being hazardous to their breathing, however. :shock: Slightly alarmed now!

I snipped off branches and gave it to them to nibble.

re. Breathing - It was a woman in P@H who apparently gave advice to a forum member I think it was a couple of months ago now you could try looking back a older threads.

I snipped off branches and gave it to them to nibble.

re. Breathing - It was a woman in P@H who apparently gave advice to a forum member I think it was a couple of months ago now you could try looking back a older threads.

i actualy give it to a bun with reoccuring snuffles, i find this with fresh mint helps him, but thats with my bun, in moderation i think as with all things the new shoots are the best really

Back