• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How cold is too cold?

charl86

Alpha Buck
Just wondering with the cold weather starting when I should be worried about it being too cold for Sooty. He's an indoor buny but the room he goes into at night can get a little bit colder than the rest of the house. Ive got a thermometer in there but dont really know what temp im aiming for over winter.
I know bunnies cope better with cold than they do heat but at what temp would they become uncomfortable? and what temp does it become dangerous for it to be that cold?

I'm not sure but with my two I try and keep the room about 20 degrees or so, haven't read any exact temps anywhere tho!

My buns are outdoor buns and they went through the winter last year which at times went down to -18. They were hale and hearty. With buns it isn't so much the cold that is a problem for them as dampness. As long as they have a good thick coat and are well nourished, they will be fine.

I know of a bunny who survived the rigours of last winter living in a hutch that certainly gave me cause for concern! They can do well in very cold temperatures, but should get extra straw and a suitable cover for the hutch. Bunnies apparently don't cope well with sudden changes of temp, which is something I will have to consider if bringing my bunny indoors for exercise in the winter. It's not a problem at the moment, because it's not that cold outside and we certainly don't overheat the house.

My buns are outdoor buns and they went through the winter last year which at times went down to -18. They were hale and hearty. With buns it isn't so much the cold that is a problem for them as dampness. As long as they have a good thick coat and are well nourished, they will be fine.

mine too........and somedays for weeks it never got above freezing.
it was a right pain having to change the water every hour or so!
they will be fine i think indoors. :)

My house rabbit is in our front room, which now we've a baby on the way is between 15-18 degs all the time, its more about maintaining an ambient for indoor bunnies i think... they cope better cold and dry then warm n damp.

I have 4 bunnies outside in a shed, and they coped fine last winter but then they're used to it x

my house bunnies have always had a regular temperature of 18c indoors, although when rosie got poorly and old i still ggave her a snugglesafe especially as last winter was soo cold

:wave: I dont know but im really worried as this is the first winter mine have been outside :shock:
Im going to be on 24 hour panic!!!

We keep the bunny room around 20-21 in the day and no less than about 17-18 at night. During the day they are upstairs in our sitting room that can get a lot warmer with the log fire burning, but down at ground level with all the draughts it probably stays around 20-21 anyway. :wave:

We keep the bunny room around 20-21 in the day and no less than about 17-18 at night. During the day they are upstairs in our sitting room that can get a lot warmer with the log fire burning, but down at ground level with all the draughts it probably stays around 20-21 anyway. :wave:

That's warmer than our house!

Back