• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice please on pairs

jo_buns

New Kit
Hi everyone,

I would like to house my doe with one of her male kits and wondered how I go about doing this?

The baby is 8 weeks old and last of her litter of 4 and I would like them to live together in my nice big hutch. How do I go about doing this and getting her spayed at the same time? Not being blonde, just wondered if she will get pregnant between now and me getitng the kits (or her) fixed.

Thankyou

I think you need to separate the kits from her, then get her spayed and recovered whilst also getting the boy neutered, and then rebond back from there.

Potentially you could get her spayed whilst she is still with him (but only once he is no longer feeding and her milk has dried up and her hormones died down) but there are a lot more risks to that (including to her physically if he starts to hump while she is still recovering from her spay, with regards to him annoying her and potential fights if/when his hormones develop, etc). There is also the risk of being made pregnant by him before you can get her spayed (I have heard of seven week old males making mum pregnant again- rare, but not impossible). Personally I think its better and safer to split them up and then rebond, but others may disagree with me.

There is a lot of info on here about bonding. I would suggest searching it, and also looking for posts by The Duchess and janice- ARC. I also have a bonding article on my website (link in my sig).

Back