• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Meat in my Excel Rabbit Food.....

Jemma&Theo

Mama Doe
:? :? :? :?

this is the letter I sent

---------------------

Burgess Pet Care
Victory Mill, Priestmans Lane
Thornton-le-Dale
Pickering
North Yorkshire
YO18 7RU

Dear Burgess (Excel),

I am a loyal customer of yours and regularly purchase Excel Adult Rabbit food, sometimes original and sometimes the oregano flavour (and recently the light version for my podgy bunnies)

I have always been pleased with your product and even swapped to you from Science Selective two years ago, based on the fact your product has a higher fibre content and slightly lower protein (which makes bunnies moult less)

Science Selective have a ‘meat free’ guarantee label on the front, and I never thought anything of it, that is until I found a small piece of cat or dog food in a bag of your adult original excel. I have included it with this letter for your information.

I am quite disappointed as I have 6 rabbits and feel them all excel. I’m worried that meat may be integrated within the pellets and am considering swapping back to Science.

Is this a mistake? I really hope so. I just think I should make you aware. I hope I haven’t missed any more pieces that my rabbits have ate, as I hate to think they have been eating food made from rabbit, or any other meat.

This was a close call and I have narrowly avoided a trip to the vets, as you know, rabbit’s digestive systems are sensitive and eating something like that could have bought on an onset of gut stasis.

I hope my letter has been useful and hope that your control measures are reviewed. I await your reply before deciding whether my rabbits would be safer with Science Selective.

Yours Sincerely

Miss Jemma Yale

And on behalf of :

Theodore the Netherland Dwarf, Cleo the Dutch Bunny, Earl the Toothless Dwarf lop, Noodle the Three legged Albino ‘mish mash’, Lucy the Mini Lop and , Twiglet just plain Lop!

well i just looked at google images and it looks like the 'supa cat' range

Its a small orange triangle........

gutted.

hope i get some free food!!!

SS have the 'guaranteed meat free' declaration on their bags because of some research they did recently by scientifically analysing their competitors' rabbit foods. They actually found traces of meat products in some other brands (some are produced in factories along with cat/dog food). Burgess was the worst offender according to the research, so it is potentially in the Excel pellets anyway. :cry::cry:

*feels sick at the thought of it*.

I'm ashamed to say I still feed Excel as it's hard to get other brands of pellet in my town, though I do need to make more effort as it appals me :oops::oops:

Last edited:
:shock: It was probably mixed up in their production lines. Still it's unacceptable and I hope they do something about it. Glad I don't use excel any more, but knowing my buns they would have gobbled it up anyway :roll:

SS have the 'guaranteed meat free' declaration on their bags because of some research they did recently by scientifically analysing their competitors' rabbit foods. They actually found traces of meat products in some other brands (some are produced in factories along with cat/dog food). Burgess was the worst offender according to the research, so it is potentially in the Excel pellets anyway. :cry::cry:

*feels sick at the thought of it*.

I'm ashamed to say I still feed Excel as it's hard to get other brands of pellet in my town, though I do need to make more effort as it appals me :oops::oops:

YUK :cry:

i guess though in the wild buns eat meat......... EG : slugs, ants , spiders etc in the plants

and their own young.........

This is a copy of the report that I posted some time back, I find it quite shocking

img125.jpg

img126.jpg

img127.jpg

img128.jpg

img129.jpg

img130.jpg

img131.jpg

img132.jpg

img133.jpg

This is a copy of the report that I posted some time back, I find it quite shocking

img125.jpg

img126.jpg

img127.jpg

img128.jpg

img129.jpg

img130.jpg

img131.jpg

img132.jpg

img133.jpg

That was horrible to read and might be a factor in why are buns are prone to Stasis. I think i will be moving my little crew over to SS (hopefully thats a better food).

:shock: Im really shocked!
I wonder if perhaps Timothy is better....

How can we find out what pet food for rabbits is made in a non-meat producing factory?
And what reports have been done so we can choose...without choosing blindly?:?

I moved my guys over to SS ages ago now, do be careful though, some buns need you to feed MORE SS to begin with, I was feeding the same about of SS as I did of Excel and both the buns lost weight quickly so I increased the amount they had :)

I moved my guys over to SS ages ago now, do be careful though, some buns need you to feed MORE SS to begin with, I was feeding the same about of SS as I did of Excel and both the buns lost weight quickly so I increased the amount they had :)

thanks,

i swapped lucy onto excel from SS only two weeks ago, I may look to swapping them back next spring, when they can afford a weight fluctuation and to avoid messing with their bellies again (like i say i changed them all onto it about 6 months ago)

You know I found an orange triangle biscuit when we were on excel and thought nothing of it, now I'm very annoyed and wish I had done similar. :evil:

I'm on Wagg Optimum. Bunnies mostly eat hay and veg, and have golden poops and are healthy weight so I'm not complaining.

How disappointing - my buns are on excel & also have their forage & herbage :( I did try swapping Hugo (bridge bun :() onto SS from excel but it messed up his poops (I weaned him gradually) so I gave up on it.

Shocking!!! :shock: I've just moved lucky over to SS. Even though it's harder to get hold of he's stopping on that!

Back