• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

pulling out fur from nape of neck

bubbsy

New Kit
Hello everyone, im a little worried about my Conti, she keeps pulling the fur out of the nape of her neck where here injection site was, its been months since she had her injection, but this seems to be an ongoing problem with her, she pulls it out so much she makes it bleed, im so worried about her doing this, she now has a scab on the back of her neck, she has been spaide, about 6 months ago now, why does she keep doing this??? and what can i put on it, to heal it up quicker, what can i use to stop her doing this ?? thanks in advance for any help :D

It sounds like the sight might be sore and bothering her. Which vaccine was it she had?
Id take her to the vets for some proper treatment as there may be a reaction going on.
Hope shes ok :wave:

It sounds like the sight might be sore and bothering her. Which vaccine was it she had?
Id take her to the vets for some proper treatment as there may be a reaction going on.
Hope shes ok :wave:

^This. It's quite common for buns to have a reaction to a vaccine, have you had a look at the site? Is there any weeping around the scab? Either way I'd take her to the vet for a quick check-up, it shouldn't be bothering her months afterwards.

thanks for the reply, well i don't think it is a reaction from the injection as she does this allot, she did have a reaction to the cyclap, on her first one, but i made sure that she didn't have that one again, i think she may be itchy there or something, like i say its been a good 2 and a half months since her last jab, i rang the vets they told me to apply sudocream to the affected area, as this will relieve the itch and wouldn't harm her if she bites or licks it, she has done this fur pulling on nape of neck since she was 8 weeks old, she is nearly 9 months now. wish i knew why she did this

Is it def her doing it? or is she bonded with another bun? just wondering if it's caused by another bun humping her, hence thinning the fur etc by grasping with their paws :?

Have you checked for mites? If she had a bad reaction to her vaccination then she might be feeling a bit run down, and potentially got mights. Bald patches on the back of the neck are quite indicative of mites. Just had the same with my frenchy called Darwin, I blamed it on his wifeybun as she still jumps on him and humps him sometimes. Took him to the vets for something else, the vet did a sellotape test for mites and sue enough there they were. Poor Darwin, he'd had them for a few weeks! I felt awful, I really thought it was Lavender bun, I've learned now. :)

Back