• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

being weak?

angieb

Mama Doe
my miffy has just had a big blockage in her bowel and has lost loads and loads of wieght.
she was in the vets for 48 hours on a drip. and her temp was right down.....:(
now she is home and is still really wobbly and weak alltho for now she is eating and pooing.
my question is that when she is pooing and weeing she is just doing it where ever she is. do you think it could be because she cant be bothered to move or because she is incontinant? :?
the only time shes really moves anywhere is for food. she soon hopped accross the crate for dandelion leaves last night!

Awww poor Miffy, sending loads of vibes for her xxxxxx

Ive found whenever one of mine has been really ill their litter training has gone haywire until theyve got their strength back. A blockage is very painful so she probably still has some residual pain. Does shd have painkillers?
Also 48hrs at the vets is tiring for a bun. Even after just a day of my Mimi being there she was exhausted when she got home. I guess they dont sleep mjch while they're tgere as its a stressful situation for them :(

I personally think it sounds like somethng else is going on other than the blockage (something else which might make the blockage a secondary issue).

Are you feeding her lots and feeding her up?

thanks for replys
yes im am feeding her as much as she will eat. :?
she is still eating loads of timothy hay.
i have had a full extended blood test done when she first got admitted and that came back fine apart from she was a bit dehydrated but that should be fine now as she then had 2 days of fluids. :?
i am just really worried about her. :cry:
shes just been sat up and had a wash.
the meds she is on are zantac once a day and metoclopumide twice a day and recovery.
does this sound right?

Blood tests won't show up everything, just if there is a problem that is testable for via bloods. If, for example, she has a kidney/bladder stone and is in pain, that is unlikely to show up on blood tests. If this was my bunny I would be looking to investigate further into the root cause of it, I think.

Poor little girlie, I hope she perks up soon.

shes hopped around a little and seems to be standing better since this morning. she is due back to see the vet on monday, if she is no heavier i will ask about further tests ect. thankyou for replying. :)

one of her hind legs is now slightly orange stained, so i can only presume its wee on there.
whats the best way to clean it? should i just place her in luke warm water or just wipe it with baby wipes?
or because shes so weak should i leave her?

Back