• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I have just got my first Rabbit :)

ThomasCroal

Young Bun
hey, ive just got my first Rabbit.. well first 3 rabbits lol :p one is a lop eared dwarf and the other 2 are brothers which are lion head dwarfs, was just looking to see if anyone would have any tips on how to keep the boys happy and amused :) thanks :wave:

Hey there over in Livingston. My family is from near there! I highly recommend phone books with hay stuck between the pages. They will love shredding it. Toilet paper rolls with hay stuffed in them and our little gems love playing with a towel as they dig in it, burrow under it and bed on it. All the stuff we buy from the pet store gets ignored for those three things. I hope this helps! :wave:

Hey there over in Livingston. My family is from near there! I highly recommend phone books with hay stuck between the pages. They will love shredding it. Toilet paper rolls with hay stuffed in them and our little gems love playing with a towel as they dig in it, burrow under it and bed on it. All the stuff we buy from the pet store gets ignored for those three things. I hope this helps! :wave:

hey :D yeah ive got toilet papers rolls in already they love them :D ill have to try the phone book with hay between the pages it sounds good.. and yeah ive bought little stars that they can eat that hang from the top of the hutch and they have been ignored for the toilet roll tube haha, what does it means when my rabbit rubs its chin on my hands or nudges my hands with its head? almost like a headbutt

Buns have scent glands under their chin so they are marking their territory and claiming you as theirs. You can't smell it though... it's only for buns noses. That's a very good sign. Are the buns neutered?

The toilet papers are endless fun. If they're playful buns try throwing the towel over them and let them burrow their way out. Our oldest bun loves this and will actually chase the towel like a bull in spain if we lift it out of her reach. :love: I know in the pet stores here they have tunnels you can get and our little guy loves his but you can also make your own. Just remember they chew everything!!!!! :lol:

Oh and the nudging is usually for them to get your attention for them to be stroked. It is for our ones anyways. :love:

Buns have scent glands under their chin so they are marking their territory and claiming you as theirs. You can't smell it though... it's only for buns noses. That's a very good sign. Are the buns neutered?

The toilet papers are endless fun. If they're playful buns try throwing the towel over them and let them burrow their way out. Our oldest bun loves this and will actually chase the towel like a bull in spain if we lift it out of her reach. :love: I know in the pet stores here they have tunnels you can get and our little guy loves his but you can also make your own. Just remember they chew everything!!!!! :lol:

ohhh, thats good then :D the two from the same litter are in the same hutch together and the other in a seperate one, they arent neutered could this become a problem ? theyre very calm and like to sleep beside each other and the one kept in a seperate hutch is very bouncy and jumps around sometimes shaking his head alot and enjoys to have a good lick at your hand :lol: theyre great!

Depends on their age. As they get older they can get more aggressive if they are not neutered. I know for female buns it is essential to get them spayed for health reasons as there is an 80% chance they can get cancer. I'm not certain of the risks for male bunnies but neutered bunnies tend to be less prone to spraying and other territorial behaviour.

Depends on their age. As they get older they can get more aggressive if they are not neutered. I know for female buns it is essential to get them spayed for health reasons as there is an 80% chance they can get cancer. I'm not certain of the risks for male bunnies but neutered bunnies tend to be less prone to spraying and other territorial behaviour.

Wow didnt know that about female rabbits, isnt really fair is it! well yeah i think im gona get them neutered when theyre a little older

Yeah you should definitely look into it. The majority of the users on this forum are in the UK so I'm sure you'll be able to get some good info tomorrow when there's more people on here. Seeing as it's pretty much dawn for you there! :shock: My dad's actually visiting my family there right now... He could be just down the road from you. LOL

I'm glad you're enjoying your buns. Are you keeping them indoors or out? Ours are indoor buns. The oldest one gets to run around the house but our little one has a big 3 level rabbit condo that my boyfriend built him. He's only 4 months and there's no way we could keep him out of trouble at the moment as he's so little still. Getting him neutered in a month. lol Don't tell him though!

Everyone on here will beg you for pics of your little ones so be sure to post them. This forum is bunny picture mad! :shock:

The two boys might fall out as they reach maturity... ours did :roll::(

They have to be kept seperate and rebonded then after they're neutered.

Our two love the toilet rolls too, but a nudge for us means, out of my way you!
or if we're not in the way bit of a how's it going!

Best of luck with your 3, this forum helped me out SO much when we first got our rabbits!
Welcome and Upload any photo's you've got there of your buns :wave:
so we can see how cute they are!

the males should be neutered as they will get urges and try to hump each other which results in fights, plus neutering makes them more toilet strained, they downt spray urine as much and they are less likely to grunt and bite you for 'encrouching' on their space.

I would certainly get them neutered when they are about 3 or 4 months old

Yeah you should definitely look into it. The majority of the users on this forum are in the UK so I'm sure you'll be able to get some good info tomorrow when there's more people on here. Seeing as it's pretty much dawn for you there! :shock: My dad's actually visiting my family there right now... He could be just down the road from you. LOL

I'm glad you're enjoying your buns. Are you keeping them indoors or out? Ours are indoor buns. The oldest one gets to run around the house but our little one has a big 3 level rabbit condo that my boyfriend built him. He's only 4 months and there's no way we could keep him out of trouble at the moment as he's so little still. Getting him neutered in a month. lol Don't tell him though!

Everyone on here will beg you for pics of your little ones so be sure to post them. This forum is bunny picture mad! :shock:

Thats crazy, where about in livingston is he ? my buns are kept indoor, i dont know what it is but i just couldnt leave them outside :( ill be sure to get lots of pics uploaded asap :D thankyou for your help :wave:

The two boys might fall out as they reach maturity... ours did :roll::(

They have to be kept seperate and rebonded then after they're neutered.

Our two love the toilet rolls too, but a nudge for us means, out of my way you!
or if we're not in the way bit of a how's it going!

Best of luck with your 3, this forum helped me out SO much when we first got our rabbits!
Welcome and Upload any photo's you've got there of your buns :wave:
so we can see how cute they are!

Yeah im gona get them neutered in the near future :) ill get lots of pics and show you guys asap, they are gorgeous! :D

:wave: Im in SOuth Queensferry, hey neighbour! :D

My buns love a treat ball with some of their pellets in it, they love nudging it about!
Also a cardboard box is a cheap & fun toy, they love jumping on top of it & chewing it to pieces! :D

When they're all neutered they could all happily live together. There is lots of info on bonding rabbits on this forum. :d

My aunt lives in Uphall Station. I've done the trek from the train station up Livingston so many times I could do it in my sleep. The rest of the fam live in Edinburgh and Nan lives in Musselburgh so makes for long hauls back and forth when I'm there. lol

Glad you're enjoying your little buns. They are really unique pets and very very entertaining. I hope you find all the information you need on here. You will find tons of information on everything from diet to bonding to just general bunny info!!!! Feel free to send me any questions you may have.

Back