• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny Basics/T

LauryStevens

Mama Doe
I've heard Science Selective is good, until I came across "Bunny Basics/T" on the "The Hay Experts" website. After doing some research on it, it seems to be the best food out there (fiber content wise) with a minimum fiber content of 25% and a max of 29%

Does anyway use this food or have any good/bad experiences with it?

I've had such a good experience with this!! Charlie was on Excel but he has a very sensitive tum so his poos would sometimes be sticky! But since I've changed to Oxbow T pellets I've had no trouble and his poos are better than ever :D! It's not too rich for his little tum :)

just as well then cause I've ordered some, sounds SOOO much better than Science selective, to me anyway. I may try get their hay too :) Cheers guys!

I love it and if I could afford to feed all of ours on this I would. I am currently feeding it to our tiny 500g bunny Cecily Sweetpea as it's a non alfalfa pellet and has high fibre. This alone is helping her fibre intake as she will not eat hay (and never had done apparently). If it wasn't for this pellet I don't know what we would be doing with her.

Whilst I know that for Ceci she could use the calories in alfalfa, the benefits of this food outweighs this.

I'd definitely recommend it.

I use the guinea pig version for our piggs too. They also love it,

just as well then cause I've ordered some, sounds SOOO much better than Science selective, to me anyway. I may try get their hay too :) Cheers guys!

One of the good things about BBT is that it is a pressed pellet rather than an extruded one. SS is extruded. Pressed pellets make the rabbits work harder to eat them - the extruded ones are like biscuits and just break when they bite them.

Just compared them on Hay Experts, and SS has prebiotics but BBT hasn't. Is it more important that the fibre content is higher? enough to discount the lack of prebiotics?

Just compared them on Hay Experts, and SS has prebiotics but BBT hasn't. Is it more important that the fibre content is higher? enough to discount the lack of prebiotics?

If a bunny has a good balanced diet and is healthy then prebiotics shouldn't be necessary I dont' think. Higher fibre is always going to be the winner, but it's overiding benefit is that it's not alfalfa based.

One of the good things about BBT is that it is a pressed pellet rather than an extruded one. SS is extruded. Pressed pellets make the rabbits work harder to eat them - the extruded ones are like biscuits and just break when they bite them.

I'm guessing that means it helps to shortern their teeth then? As regards to Sukie, I guess you can get prebiotic things for water etc too if you're worried about it.

Last edited:
:wave: Bunny Basics T here for ours too. I did try the A&P as I heard this was good but their coats went dull. Moved them back to BB and nice and shiny again. Poops are good too :D

I order from my vet and pick up the next day to avoid delivery charges of the net.;)

:wave: Bunny Basics T here for ours too. I did try the A&P as I heard this was good but their coats went dull. Moved them back to BB and nice and shiny again. Poops are good too :D

I order from my vet and pick up the next day to avoid delivery charges of the net.;)

Ooooh, smart thinking, I may try that one :D Thanks!

All my six are on BBT - they all seem to thrive on it and their coats look so fantastic which is always commented on by my vet.

I swapped to BB when a previous bun produced excess caecotrophs with both Excel and SS. I do suspect the alfalfa in the Excel and SS was the cause.

All my six, who are lionhead or lionhead crosses, despite being good hay eaters have potentially problematic molars. I have read that the optimum shape for bunny pellets is like a spaghetti strand, which is what the BB are.

Whilst I realise that pellets are no substitute for hay as far as dental health goes if the BB is the 'best' for dodgy molars then I am happy to pay more for using BB.

I too order through my vet who can get it in for the following day :D

I feed SS now, a little while ago one of my bunnies turned out to have calciumrelated problems with his blatter, so I wanted to switch but he suddenly died. SS has been working fine for the others, so I'm still not sure what to do..

Must also say I can't get the BBT anywhere here in the Netherlands.. Doesn't really matter since I order at The Hay Experts anyway, but if I run out or something.. I can always get a bag of SS here. (But I think they put gold in the Dutch SS, you don't want to know what it costs.. :shock:)

I feed SS now, a little while ago one of my bunnies turned out to have calciumrelated problems with his blatter, so I wanted to switch but he suddenly died. SS has been working fine for the others, so I'm still not sure what to do..

Must also say I can't get the BBT anywhere here in the Netherlands.. Doesn't really matter since I order at The Hay Experts anyway, but if I run out or something.. I can always get a bag of SS here. (But I think they put gold in the Dutch SS, you don't want to know what it costs.. :shock:)

Why not just order a big bag of it? :) Or lots of little bags, that way when you get down to your last bag you know you need to order more?:)

i wish it was more redeally available in shops bunny basics T as id love mine to be on it, but as it isn't he's on SS

I always feed it to mine, they love it. It's not easy to get hold of in stores, but I've never had trouble getting it from The Hay Experts :)

Back