• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Grimlock and bread.

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
First of all I have to say I do not condone feeding rabbits bread. It's not a good idea. However, I do give Grim bread. It's his favourite food and the best way for him to take medicine without stressing him out. When he stops eating I can always tempt him with bread. He loves it so much he'll eat it no matter what. He's going for his operation on Wednesday and has really slowed down with his eating, so I soggied up some bread for him as well as his pellets today. And his appetite just seemed to increase. He slowly but surely ate all the bread and then moved onto his pellets. He's eaten more in this one sitting than he's eaten in a day for the last few days. And now he's perked right up and is running around the house wanting cuddles and peeing on my carpet. :roll: :love:

So what is it with bread? It's supposed to slow their digestive system down if I remember correctly but it's only ever done good for Grim. There have been times he would have died if it weren't for his love of bread.

Well if it's doing Grimlock some good then it's got to be ok???

All my bunnies like bread .....but Malc LOVES bread!
Shake a bread bag near the hutch and he'll do a very fancy dance for you :lol:

Grim has special needs, and you know him best. I'm sure I read in a back issue of the RWA magazine that when a bunny is not eating it's time to think about breaking the rules.

Well he's currently nomming another bowl of food! I think bread is some sort of miracle cure in his case. I bought him his very own loaf for this week. :)

I must confess I use bread too for poorly bunnies - and it has often helped me adminster medication.

I give Sue bread at the moment as she only has half a working kidney and has lost a lot of weight. She really loves the bread and I am sure it is helping her maintain her weight. My vet has agreed it is OK to give it to her as he is surprised she is still with us given the state of her kidneys - anything that is low in calcium that will keep her weight on, she has.

She used to love carrot tops, broccoli and kale but I've had to stop giving those to her so bread is really the only treat type food she has now - apart from fresh grass and dandelion leaves which she adores too.

I find pineapple juice can often stimulate a bun's appetite too and Sue often has some of this in her water bottle.

Peggy will sometimes steal some of Sue's bread, but I don't give it to my other buns apart from as a very special occasional treat as I know it isn't good for them.

Well he's currently nomming another bowl of food! I think bread is some sort of miracle cure in his case. I bought him his very own loaf for this week. :)

Rightly or wrongly, I think it is rather sweet of you to have bought Grim his own loaf. Sending him vibes.

when i was younger, both my rabbits used to get half slices of bread almost every other day. Never did them any harm. I know it can cause bloating, because the bread absorbs stomach liquids etc, but i totally agree, break the rules if it helps Grim.

As Susie said, i think its quite sweet he has his 'own loaf' :)

I checked and the article I was thinking of is in the Summer 2005 issue of Rabbiting On. I ordered it as back issue because when I first got Spenser he was not a good eater. As it turned out, I've never had to resort to bread in his case, but the article definitely mentions it as a way of getting a poorly bunny eating.

When Tibbsy was very ill a few months ago, bread was literally the only thing she would eat. Our vet was all for me trying anything just to keep her wee tummy moving along.

Problem is, now she has a taste for the stuff so sandwiches have to be eaten standing up in the kitchen! :roll: :lol::lol:

Back