• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dripping water bottles

sugarlump

Alpha Buck
Does anyone else have this problem? and how do you get over it???
Ive tried two different brands and they keep dripping on the shed floor constantly. does anyone know of a brand of bottle that doesnt drip!

Ive tried bowls under them,to catch the drips, and the girls just turn them over,or push them out the way:lol: so any tips greatly appreciated:lol:

There is probably a reason you are using them, but is there a reason you couldn't just change to using bowls?

I tried so many different bottles with Biscuit and still ended up with soggy newspaper in the hutch :roll:. I think outside especially, the different temps can affect how the metal pipe is as it contracts and expands etc, so the ball bearing is too small for the pipe and so water drisp out.

There is probably a reason you are using them, but is there a reason you couldn't just change to using bowls?

I tried so many different bottles with Biscuit and still ended up with soggy newspaper in the hutch :roll:. I think outside especially, the different temps can affect how the metal pipe is as it contracts and expands etc, so the ball bearing is too small for the pipe and so water drisp out.

Ive tried the bowls Graham and they either end up jumping in them or tip them over.:shock:Also would they freeze when it gets really cold, im not sure.
So any ideas anyone?

I find with my lot, it is the way they drink from the bottles. I've watched my bunnies drink, my Belgian hare doe is so messy when she drinks and water goes everywhere. But my other 2 are clean when they drink.

I have the same problem - after a few weeks I end up replacing them.
Graham's scientific suggestion as to why they may be dripping is an excellent theory, though mine are indoors and I wouldn't have said the temp fluctuation was great enough to affect them.

Thanks for the tip re Ezi bottles, will hunt for them, also.

One of our EziFilla ones dripped but that was more due to Mischa's unusual drinking technique. :roll: We find the bowls a lot easier. We use the large dog ones which are impossible to tip (but make great paddling pools according to Smudge).

:wave: Bowls for us too. Either the heavy ceramic ones or I also have a stainless steel one that sits in a ring so they can't knock it over ;)

I've always used bowls but recently had to switch to a bottle for my housebunny... she started throwing the heavy water bowl and flinging water everywhere. She hated the normal sized bottles but the huge one made for GIANTS, parrots and puppies is working really well and she likes the fact she can drink more. I've found that filling it right to the top, with not a millimetre air space, stops any drips.:D

Mine is indoors, it doesn't leak but I read somewhere to fill them right up to avoid drips. It only drips when I reattach it to the bars so I keep a little kitchen roll to wipe those.

All our buns have large dog bowls. Our young giant and her chum have a great dane sized bowl as bramble could tip the usual large ones. Our pigs have a giants water bottle that drips, the one before did, and the one before that too! Filling them right up works sometimes but it can form an air lock where no water will come out, if i'm not careful. Besides once they've had a drink it starts dripping again. I saw some special bottles in fur and feather-will have to see what they're called and get one myself I think. I'm fed up of havin a puppy sad to catch the drips-as then this sits damp all day till it's changed. It's tricky with pigs only one will use a bowl! And they do drink awkwardly which i'm sure doesn't help the drip situation!

I do this:

Photo037.jpg

Its a 'mouse food' bowl attacked in the same way as the bottle. If you do it tight they cant get it off..

Back