• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What could be wrong with Cassie??

DonnaJoan

New Kit
Hi! I have come across this board after searching for answers as to what could be wrong with my mini-lop - Cassie. She is usually energetic, loves her food and very feisty. However, this morning, when I went to clean out her hutch, she was sitting down inside and hadn't touched her food. She is drinking a lot which suggest that she is dehydrated. She is due for her myx next Wednesday so I am hoping there is a reasonable explanation without taking her to the vets unless I really need to.

xx

Hi! I have come across this board after searching for answers as to what could be wrong with my mini-lop - Cassie. She is usually energetic, loves her food and very feisty. However, this morning, when I went to clean out her hutch, she was sitting down inside and hadn't touched her food. She is drinking a lot which suggest that she is dehydrated. She is due for her myx next Wednesday so I am hoping there is a reasonable explanation without taking her to the vets unless I really need to.

xx

Is she pooping/weeing?
Is she hunched up inside?

Hiya!! Welcome to the forum.....:wave:
It sounds like your bun could be in some pain.Stasis or maybe a dental is causing the stasis, as shes not eating??
Theyre my guesses, but a quick trip to the vet maybe an idea as the myxi wont be done until shes in top health....and buns go down rather quickly if not helped.
Best of luck.xxxxx

HAve you tried tempting her with her fave foods?
Is she pooing and weeing as normal?
Is she lethargic?
Does her tummy feel large or bloated?

Sorry for all the questions just trying to get a better grasp of the situation :wave:

Thanks everyone...

Thank you to everyone who responded to my post regarding Cassie. I have no idea what was wrong with her on Wednesday (she did worry me) but I am pleased to report that Cassie is back to her normal self. When I went to her hutch on Thursday morning, she was hopping around outside and started eating again and enjoying her treats!!! She even ''helped'' me clean her hutch out even though she was making a nusiance of herself.

She has been fine ever since and I am thinking now, knowing Cassie's personality, she was ''sulking''.

Anyway, she is due for her ''myx'' and I will ask the vet to give her a thorough health check as well :)

Donna (& Cassie) xx

Thank you to everyone who responded to my post regarding Cassie. I have no idea what was wrong with her on Wednesday (she did worry me) but I am pleased to report that Cassie is back to her normal self. When I went to her hutch on Thursday morning, she was hopping around outside and started eating again and enjoying her treats!!! She even ''helped'' me clean her hutch out even though she was making a nusiance of herself.

She has been fine ever since and I am thinking now, knowing Cassie's personality, she was ''sulking''.

Anyway, she is due for her ''myx'' and I will ask the vet to give her a thorough health check as well :)

Donna (& Cassie) xx

From the behaviour you describe in your first post I think it was certainly much more than just sulking to be honest. I suspect she had 'gas' a mild bloat, which resolved itself (they sometimes do). If it happens again I would seek vet attention - to both get treatment asap (it is not always self resolving and buns can deteriorate very quickly) but also to look for an underlying cause. Isolated episodes do happen.. but if it turns into a pattern it is far more likely there is a health issue going on. Glad she is better now :)

Back