• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Being made to feel stupid because I have rabbits..

Nikki26

Mama Doe
I hate it.

I have just been for lunch with an ex colleague and mentioned that Dougal has been poorly and that it's cost me near to £200 so far, the response I got was "it's just a :censored: rabbit!"

I got really defensive at that point and said that it was just the same as having a cat and a dog and if I didnt take him to the vet and he died then how awful would I feel.

I hate having to always defend myself and people saying "it's just a rabbit."

Sorry, rant over! I guess people see them as a pet you have when you are a child not when you are an adult.

I don't talk about my bunnies with people I know in real life - I either get horror stories on how their rabbit died, or get asked if they've had any babies yet :roll:

I was really upset because Grim is going for his operation next Wednesday. I told my mum and her response was "Well how much is that going to cost you then?" :(

I try to avoid talking about my rabbits too. Not because I'm ashamed of loving and taking care of them, even though people apparently think I should be, I'm not. But I keep on explaining why they live together, why they don't fight, why they're not having any babies, why I had them both done, why I spent so much on food, why I have them vaccinated or checked out when sick.. And what Blackberry & Co said, because of all the horrible stories people tell and they seem to think it's normall or funny that will only make me feel bad..

But you know what, you should just ignore it and smile.. These idiots will never know what it's like to love a bunny (and have a bunny love you!) and that's their lost, not yours!

I know a few people with bunnies, and I am so shocked and surprised what they feed them on. One person said her daughter feeds her bunny on a slice of toast a day :shock: And nearly all of them don't realise they need to have an endless amount of hay. And are shocked, when I say how much I spend on hay a month.

I had one colleague try to tell me it was okay to feed a rabbit lettuce, as she done it when she was younger. I nearly asked how long her rabbits lasted!

I hate the comments I get!!

my mum's response is always 'how much will that cost' as well.

I got that at work when I had to spend £500 on Daphne and Jasmine. 'How much? Can't believe you're spending that on a rabbit'. I wonder what they'd say if we went in and said 'ah my rabbit's dying but the treatment will be £200so don't think I'll bother' :evil:

I try to avoid talking about my rabbits too. Not because I'm ashamed of loving and taking care of them, even though people apparently think I should be, I'm not. But I keep on explaining why they live together, why they don't fight, why they're not having any babies, why I had them both done, why I spent so much on food, why I have them vaccinated or checked out when sick.. And what Blackberry & Co said, because of all the horrible stories people tell and they seem to think it's normall or funny and it will only make me feel bad..

But you know what, you should just ignore it and smile.. These idiots will never know what it's like to love a bunny (and have a bunny love you!) and that's their lost, not yours!

Ditto. Why people want me to take bad care of my rabbits I'll never know. Maybe they realise that they aren't taking good care of theirs. And when you try to help and save them money you get shot down in flames. I was telling my friend how much I save on hay by getting a bale and got 'oh yes, but you have to store it' so I offered to split a bale with them 'oh no, we're fine thanks'. I save about £100 on hay every time I get a bale over pet shop stuff. I don't understand it.

I dont talk about my bunnies to anyone anymore apart from my family. Hate the looks I get & the smirks! :evil:

My friends were round at my house for a few drinks last Saturday before we went out & not one of them even commented on them. Orla even went up to say hello & just got ignored. :( Really upset me!

I try to avoid talking about my rabbits too. Not because I'm ashamed of loving and taking care of them, even though people apparently think I should be, I'm not. But I keep on explaining why they live together, why they don't fight, why they're not having any babies, why I had them both done, why I spent so much on food, why I have them vaccinated or checked out when sick.. And what Blackberry & Co said, because of all the horrible stories people tell and they seem to think it's normall or funny that will only make me feel bad..

Ditto.My old folk always mention the war aswell and that bunny was what they ate all the time....gets me riled up when Pie is mentioned or babies etc.Get told Im mad for speying etc.:roll::roll:

i also do my best not to mention them. The guys in my team at work just rip the **** out of me when i say anything, like i'm stupid or something.

It's quite upsetting :cry:

I do try and keep quiet about my animals but they take up such a huge part of my life that I don't think I should keep it a secret.

I am lucky in that my parents understand me and so I don't get any nasty comments from them. My mum has been over at my house the last few days, yesterday to take him to the vet and today to check he was still eating. She even offerred to split the vets bill with me.

When I picked dougal up from the vets, a man in the reception asked if I bred them. Indignantly I said no, they are all neutered and are rescue buns. He shut up after that!

I agree as well, everyone I speak to has a story about how they once had a rabbit but it died of some horrible preventable illness.:cry:

No-one can stop me from talking about rabbits :lol: I don't care what anyone else thinks and if they say something stupid I just carry on and kind of educate them a bit. People are not going to think differently about rabbits unless we talk about them and how wonderful they are and how much responsibility they are and what owning a rabbit really involves.

my mum's response is always 'how much will that cost' as well.

I got that at work when I had to spend £500 on Daphne and Jasmine. 'How much? Can't believe you're spending that on a rabbit'. I wonder what they'd say if we went in and said 'ah my rabbit's dying but the treatment will be £200so don't think I'll bother' :evil:

Don't! Someone said that to me. That they let their rabbit die because they couldn't afford the bill. I went mental at them and said they were cruel and heartless and why the hell hadn't they asked the RSPCA for help?!

Luckily they left soon after that so I didn't have to spend all my time avoiding them. :censored:

When Sookie died my friend told me the following story to 'try' and cheer me up! :shock: ........

........When he was younger, his sisters rabbit wasnt doing too good outside in the cold so they brought him in. In the morning my friend found the poor bun dead in the bathroom.....so he thought it would be funny to pour paracetamol round him & leave the empty bottle. He then jokingly told his sister that the rabbit had overdosed.........

I honestly felt so sick when he told me, how can you laugh about something like that! :evil:

I totally understand. Its like people look down on you for taking your pets to the vets when they are ill and spending money to care for them. i dont waste my time talking about them to people now because they dont understand and probably never will, how much happiness you can get from a little creature and how important their thoughts and feelings are too. My friends even sometimes look at me like Im crazy, they say Im addicted to animals...its true :) x

Don't! Someone said that to me. That they let their rabbit die because they couldn't afford the bill. I went mental at them and said they were cruel and heartless and why the hell hadn't they asked the RSPCA for help?!

Luckily they left soon after that so I didn't have to spend all my time avoiding them. :censored:

:evil::evil::evil:

I keep badgering my friend at work to get her bun spayed but she won't cos the rabbit only cost £20

I know people think I'm nuts but I couldn't care less, my buns bring me lots of happiness and smiles which I don't often get in other parts of my life. And as for the fostering - why on earth do I do it if I don't get reimbursed for food etc.

I thought it was only me!!

People are always mocking me for how much I love my bunnies. There's some stuff I don't mind, like people laughing when I talk about all the things I buy them (they are quite pampered). That doesn't bother me. It's when I merely mention I have rabbits to people and they look at you like dirt that I can't stand.

One woman, a colleague and previous rabbit owner (she rehomed her bun when it's friend died) told me how disgusting and unhygenic I was for having Fifi on my bed when she was groggy after her spay. :roll: Getting used to it now I suppose. I love my buns and that's all there is to it.

I know what you mean. I hate the 'just a rabbit' thing too.

My parents always ask after the buns but I know they think I'm crazy for having 5 of them.

On the other hand though, every time I see my pschiatrist he always asks after the buns. He says its the only thing he can always ask that makes me smile.:D

Back