• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Really need some help!

clairelove

Warren Scout
hi all, i adopted a female rabbit (spayed) from a local rabbit rescue to go with my neutered boy rabbit, well when i had her i noticed her eye looked a little sore, i have had her 10 days now and her eyes have got really really bad white stringy discharge, i have been cleaning her eyes every day and putting brolen drops in them, like ive always done with rescue guineas that have eye trouble..

but it wasnt clearing so ive been the vets this morning and the vet has given me some eye drops fucidin drops, and have been told to put her on baytril 0.4ml twice a day for a week, then she needs to go back as the vet looked at her teeth and found one of the front teeth wasnt growning right and the back teeth has a few spurrs on them..

they have said she needs to go back next week, to have a GA to do her teeth and flush her tear ducts out if things dont improve after they will removed the front teeth..

what i need to know is! when it comes to guinea pigs my guinea friend does their teeth for me with out GA.but is there anyone or even poss that can do rabbits back teeth with out GA or do they always need a GA..

I CAN TRAVEL WITH IN REASON i live in stoke on trent staffordshire, and my friend in guinea teeth is in stratford, but cant do rabbit teeth (only trim the front)

really could do with some help!:(:cry:

Well first off you need a rabbit savvy vet. They can advise you.

Second, to do back teeth they do need a GA. This is because they cant get right to the very back of the teeth without one.

Third, what are cutter things? Does he clip them? Clipping buns and g.pigs teeth causes damage to the roots, and should never be done.

Why dont you take your guinea pigs to a g,pig savvy vet?

thank you so its very diff than guinea teeth, which is very easy to do with out GA and takes about 5 mins to do..

ive never had a rabbit with dental problems at the back! needing treatment so this is new to me..

would taking her off her pellets for 2 wks and just giving her hay and veg help?? her to wear down her own teeth???

i was told to do this with my other rabbit tara 4yrs ago after it was fond she had spurrs, i stopped pellets for 2 wks after the vet told me to and gave her loads of hay, grass, veg and her teeth were fine after..

but rosie this rabbit her eyes are much worse..

Well first off you need a rabbit savvy vet. They can advise you.

Second, to do back teeth they do need a GA. This is because they cant get right to the very back of the teeth without one.

Third, what are cutter things? Does he clip them? Clipping buns and g.pigs teeth causes damage to the roots, and should never be done.

Why dont you take your guinea pigs to a g,pig savvy vet?

paul worked with the Cambridge Cavy Trust and has been trained in guinea pig teeth for 20 yrs...and human teeth for 30 yrs. and is a trained rodentologist

the set is the ones brought on the CCT site made by Vedra,

Cool friend:)

AFAIK buns spurs cant really just disappear, although un-rabbit savvy vets find it easy to miss diagnose spurs.

It does sound like she needs a dental ASAP, especially if it is effecting her eyes:( How is her eating and pooing?

Some vets do conscious dental, but they would need to inspect them under a GA first to see what is going on. Some people (me included) don't really agree with conscious dental. The stress a bun experiences when hypnotised is awful, apparently scientists of some description have measured heart rate and brain function to prove this. Sometimes there is no option but to do this, not really sure when, as I have never had experience with that.

Feegal in my siggy is a dental bun. He has just had one and the one before was a year ago, so its not the end of the world. A rabbit should only have about a table spoon of pellets a day anyway, this has really helped Feegal with his teeth. (And weight:oops:)

Hopefully they will check her teeth roots with an x-ray whilst she is under too.

she is such a lovely friendly bunny she is a Dutch rabbit looks very much like the first rabbit on your picture:love: she is soooo friendly and loves been cuddled:love:

Back