• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Suggestions please rabbit hutch maintenance required!

Beatrix Potter

Mama Doe
Aaagggghhhhhhh Spudsey my wildie is driving me completely mad!!!! Since their ramp was installed she is insisting on removing every scrap of newspaper and hay that is in both bedroom and living area and dragging it all down the damn ramp and behind her tunnel leaving the hutch completely EMPTY! :shock: She then gnaws the whole hutch right the way round :shock: Cleaning them out now has never taken so long as I have to now get on my hands and knees and crawl to the back of the run to remove all the shredded paper and now damp hay!

Already put in lots of chewing things but doesn't seem to be doing the trick!

Any suggestions would be most helpful as come winter they are not going to be very warm at this rate!

You have my sympathies as mine seem to enjoy chucking things down the ramp hole too, but luckily not their bedding - usually their upstairs hay bowl, meaning they get stuck upstairs until i move the bowl :roll:

I've fitted a hessian back carpet upstairs in the living room bit for some warmth, which not wanting to speak to soon, but by some miracle they haven't started eating it yet! It was actually a large mat from the cheapo shop in town so only cost £2.99

As for sweeping up at the back of the run under the hutch i was doing that too last night and have completely put my back out again - i'd done it last month moving the flipping hutch when we woodstained it and it had literally only got a bit better in the last few days - so I have been up in agony since 1.30am watching the Chilean miners all night on news24 :evil: and am now at work like a zombie....rabbits, who'd have em??!!

You have my sympathies as mine seem to enjoy chucking things down the ramp hole too, but luckily not their bedding - usually their upstairs hay bowl, meaning they get stuck upstairs until i move the bowl :roll:

I've fitted a hessian back carpet upstairs in the living room bit for some warmth, which not wanting to speak to soon, but by some miracle they haven't started eating it yet! It was actually a large mat from the cheapo shop in town so only cost £2.99

As for sweeping up at the back of the run under the hutch i was doing that too last night and have completely put my back out again - i'd done it last month moving the flipping hutch when we woodstained it and it had literally only got a bit better in the last few days - so I have been up in agony since 1.30am watching the Chilean miners all night on news24 :evil: and am now at work like a zombie....rabbits, who'd have em??!!

Ooh the mat thing sounds a good idea, though not sure whether its a good idea to get my other half to fit it as I don't think hes seen the full extent of spudsey damage to all the wood he replaced in the hutch just a few months ago :roll:

Poor you with your back, can see how you put it out I end up in all sorts of positions whilst trying to move everything in the run to clean up.

Hope your back improves and you start to wake up!

Back