• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Keeping warm after spay

ScienceGeek

Warren Scout
Hi guys,

I've got my female bun (Big Suze) booked in for a spay on Friday and was wondering if anyone could recommend what the "right" temperature for a room would be once we get her home.

My initial thought was to set up a nice quiet area in the garage (b.t.w she's currently an outdoor bun), but going in there this morning it felt pretty cold, maybe about 10C. Is this too cold? I could bring her into the house but then me fear is that will be too warm if she's used to being outside!

Help...

xx

Hi guys,

I've got my female bun (Big Suze) booked in for a spay on Friday and was wondering if anyone could recommend what the "right" temperature for a room would be once we get her home.

My initial thought was to set up a nice quiet area in the garage (b.t.w she's currently an outdoor bun), but going in there this morning it felt pretty cold, maybe about 10C. Is this too cold? I could bring her into the house but then me fear is that will be too warm if she's used to being outside!

Help...

xx

Firstly before going ahead with a Friday spay I would make very sure your vets are available over the weekend or be prepared for out of hours emergency vet costs just in case you need them for after care if her recovery does not go smoothly. I'm not saying it won't but it's best to be prepared. Otherwise I would rebook for a weekday earlier in the week/next week.

It is essential that she comes inside to the house i'm afraid unless you can adequately heat a garage. Of course temperature changes like this NORMALLY for an outdoor bun are not advised, for a bun recovering from an operation the advice is different. General anaesthetic and the stress of the surgery will mean that she will be unable to maintain her body temperature properly so she will need to come inside to the house to give her the best chance of a smooth speedy recovery, for 2-3 days ideally. I would then slowly get her used to going back out by moving her to an unheated room/garage for a day or two and then back outside by which point she should be able to cope with the lower temperatures again. I would not move her out until she was eating and passing droppings normally and her wound was nicely healing up. :)

Thanks for that. I think you just confirmed what I expected anyway. Will set up a nice space for her inside.

The vets are available on Sat. if anything goes wrong, but on Sunday it would have to be an emergancy call out. I think if she's not eating by Sat morning I'll be straight on the phone with them, so either way (unless someting goes drasticaly wrong) should be little need to contact them on Sunday.

I have confidence that everything should be OK though - used the same vets when I got my male neutered and they were great with him. I know its a more serious operation for the girls, but they seem to know what they're doing.

Thanks again xx

Back