• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Angry letter to pub, U/D i have a petition running!

CrazyGal330

Warren Scout
Hi guys, i previously posted a while ago http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=245782 i went back out of curiosity to see if it had improved and I left before my friends and was shaking with anger and nearly crying at what I witnessed.
Below is the letter I wrote them, i know i should probably have let myself cool down but it is done now. I will be ringing the RSPCA tomorrow morning as I do really think they are violating one or more of the 5 freedoms.
It breaks my heart to see them in such terrible conditions. A friend offered to "liberate" them for me, hah! i generally disagree with the idea but in an angry moment it seemed almost like the best idea. sigh :cry::cry:
anyway heres the letter.

I am writing as I was disappointed not to receive a reply to my previous letter regarding your rabbits welfare.

Today I visited your pub and was dismayed by the lack of improvement to your rabbits living conditions. I was pleased to see that they were being allowed free roam of the garden however there was a lot wrong with the way this was conducted.

I noticed that here are trees of the pine family in your garden, these are poisonous to rabbits! They can and will try to eat them and this could be very dangerous to their health.
I also saw people several times picking up your rabbits incorrectly and dangerously. Firstly i saw someone pin the poor lop eared bun to the ground to then lift him with little support into the air. I cannot imagine the fear of the poor fellow at this point. Several others picked up the buns in ways that did not offer proper support at the bunnies showed obvious signs of fear.

I will quickly mention that the food you are currently supplying your rabbits with is not appropriate, and that they really need a hay based diet, with 80% hay and 20% solid pellets, straw is not appropriate as it doesn’t contain the best possible nutrients and can be sharp and injure their eyes.

I have included another leaflet and have taken the liberty of highlighting the passages I feel are particularly relevant. I previously mentioned that their hutch should be 6ft by 2ft, and wish to add that, by RSPCA standards, they should be able to perform three unhindered hops across the length of their home. your current hutch does not meet this area.

On a less important note, your ginger bunny is of the rex variety and his feet will need careful looking after, as they are particularly prone to sore hocks, a condition once contracted is very difficult to treat and look after.

I apologise if this letter seems abrupt or rude, but I left your pub nearly in tears at the nature of your bunnies welfare and think there are many issues that need immediate addressing. Please be that I will be getting the RSPCA to look into your rabbits welfare as I believe they deserve a better home than you are currently providing them with.

I do hope you will reply to my letter,

Last edited:
hi guys, to update i got in touch with the RSPCA but am not sure how much they can do, so I have started a petition to create awareness of the situation.
if you could read and sign it that would be great :D

http://www.petitiononline.com/rabbit72/petition.html
thanks very much.

Perhaps you could draw their attention to their obligations resulting from the following:

http://www.defra.gov.uk/foodfarm/farmanimal/welfare/act/affect.htm

Plus, if the pub is part of a chain, seek to raise this via the pub's head ofice. They won't want bad PR.

I'm going to sign it because you believe in it, I haven't seen the actual place/rabbits so can't really comment. But I will sign it.

I must admit, I own a pub and lots of random drunk strangers do go near my rabbits, along with their kids/dogs. However I don't feel they are in any danger as they are secure, so I don't neccessarily agree with that point of yours. Do you mean they are free-ranging, ie out the hutch? Oh, and rabbits do sometimes do well on 'cheap rabbit mix'. My last bunny lived 8 years on the stuff and never had any problems. Pellets aren't neccessary best for every rabbit.

Have you spoken to the pub owners themselves? I'm just not sure what a petition would exactly do? :?

I'm going to sign it because you believe in it, I haven't seen the actual place/rabbits so can't really comment. But I will sign it.

I must admit, I own a pub and lots of random drunk strangers do go near my rabbits, along with their kids/dogs. However I don't feel they are in any danger as they are secure, so I don't neccessarily agree with that point of yours. Do you mean they are free-ranging, ie out the hutch? Oh, and rabbits do sometimes do well on 'cheap rabbit mix'. My last bunny lived 8 years on the stuff and never had any problems. Pellets aren't neccessary best for every rabbit.

Have you spoken to the pub owners themselves? I'm just not sure what a petition would exactly do? :?

i know what you mean. I dont mean to take it out against them as a pub in general. Their hutch is quite cheap and im not convinced the wire on it is even fox-safe really. and yeah they free range them, sometimes on busy nights, without anyone supervising. The night i was there the landlord(main carer/owner) wasnt even on the premises yet they were out and about in the dark with drunk people :/

I wrote to them over a month ago and didnt hear back nor did they change anything, so am getting the impression they have just shrugged it off. Im hoping that if i can present them with a petition with enough peoples names and comments they will see its not just one rabbit nutter and that they actually need to do something about it. The landlord general seems nice and they do seem to take what locals think on-board, ie: they were going to apply for a late-night license but changed their minds when quite a few people argued against it.

Signed

I hope they listen. Rabbits should not be free range with drunk people, anyone could trip over them or hurt them. Also in the first thread you showed a picture of the hutch I believe there was a cigarette package there, if they are outside and its busy the smoke could affect them, (i'm not an anti smoker, its just an issue that could be harmful).

Signed it. I think I'm also going to email Petplanet about the hutch.

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?dept_id=811&pf_id=51379
"This Standard Apex Rabbit Hutch combines a superior finish with practicality and durability. It features a plastic coated iron wire mesh to make sure your furry friend is happily contained and is simply assembled. The larger designed living compartment means ample space to move and the lower under compartment, accessible by means of a chute, gives the option of a run when your pets feel like some exercise. (run not suitable for guinea pigs). It also allows you to safely contain your rabbit during cleaning as the upper floor of the hutch can be pulled out as a handy storage tray. With easy accessibility you can keep a close watch and enjoy your pet. If you are looking for a hutch that is sturdy, reliable, modern and attractive, this is the one for you. W96xD78xH120cm (37.75x30.75x47.25”). Also suitable for use as a guinea pig hutch. Not suitable for baby guinea pigs or dwarf rabbits. "

No wonder people would think it's alright for rabbits looking at that description. :shock::roll: It's what, too big for dwarf rabbits and guinea pigs?! Daftest product description I've ever seen.

Signed it. I think I'm also going to email Petplanet about the hutch.

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?dept_id=811&pf_id=51379
"This Standard Apex Rabbit Hutch combines a superior finish with practicality and durability. It features a plastic coated iron wire mesh to make sure your furry friend is happily contained and is simply assembled. The larger designed living compartment means ample space to move and the lower under compartment, accessible by means of a chute, gives the option of a run when your pets feel like some exercise. (run not suitable for guinea pigs). It also allows you to safely contain your rabbit during cleaning as the upper floor of the hutch can be pulled out as a handy storage tray. With easy accessibility you can keep a close watch and enjoy your pet. If you are looking for a hutch that is sturdy, reliable, modern and attractive, this is the one for you. W96xD78xH120cm (37.75x30.75x47.25”). Also suitable for use as a guinea pig hutch. Not suitable for baby guinea pigs or dwarf rabbits. "

No wonder people would think it's alright for rabbits looking at that description. :shock::roll: It's what, too big for dwarf rabbits and guinea pigs?! Daftest product description I've ever seen.

Pet Planet are rubbish. I'm still waiting for a response about a complaint I made about their rat tanks. Both are far too small for a pair of rats and rats should never be kept in tanks, it's standard advice but they won't listen.

Good luck with your complaint about this hutch, it's tiny. Don't forget to mention the RSPCA guidelines :wave:

Back