• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Very Skinny Bunny - Possible kidney failure

blaisey

Mama Doe
Hi everyone,

It has been ages since I posted here, but I'm really in need of some advice.

I took in a bunny from my friend who didn't have the time to look after him anymore. He was living in a small hutch in her garden and really needed somewhere more warm with more space to move around.

When he came to me 3 weeks ago he was 985g. He's approx 8/9 months old and is a medium sized lop eared bunny rabbit.

He was drinking around a bottle of water a day (320ml) and it was all coming away from him as urine. My Flopsie, who hasn't been introduced to Skinny Bunny for obvious health reasons, barely wees and her Megazorb isn't changed very often, she also doesn't drink much as she gets her water from veg so I was really concerned about it but Skinny Bunny's litter tray was sodden wet.

Anyhows, we took him to the vet last Thursday for a checkup (By this time we'd had him 2 weeks) and he was 1.29kg and we mentioned about the water. The vet was pretty horrified at his weight and reckons he should be about 2.4kg. She thinks his Kidneys have gone, she couldn't even feel them, but his teeth and other things are fine. I had a bit of a panic as I'd put him on a course of panacur and thought that might have been it but she assured me it was a good thing and not a bad thing, and suggested we give the Flopsie another course incase. Though we've been meticulous with our hand cleaning!

She told us to take him home for the weekend and decide what we want to do. There are blood tests that can be done (I'll come back to that) and she said we can do as little or as much as we want. She also said to start feeding him as much as he would eat and to get junior food for him, we'd only been feeding him little and often because I didn't want to overwhelm his digestion with loads of food after not having so much.

Yesterday I weighed him and he's around 1.52kg by my scales now (quite an impressive weight gain) and since we've been feeding him more and he's had loads more hay and cabbage he's stopped drinking and weeing as much. It took him nearly 4 days to drink 320ml. My bezzie came round on Saturday and he loved her because she fussed like mad over him, and he was hopping around and being very inquisitive.

Anyhows... We rang her today to chat about his progress and discuss what to do from now and she told us about the blood tests. The problem is he needs to be put under anestetic (sp?) for the procedure because the blood is to be taken from under his chin. I'm really worried about putting him under when he still seems so fragile.

So my question is, finally :lol:, do we get the tests done now and have him put under or, since he doesn't seem to be in any pain and his situation seems to have improved, wait until we can get him to a much healthier weight and have it done then?

Does it sound to you guys like it is his kidneys or just caused due to his complete lack of good diet and the fact he is just over half his ideal body weight?

maybe ask the vet

Maybe ask the vet if there's any potential harm to a short delay for continuing weight gain and observation?

You have done an outstanding job so far. Lots of luck.

I'm not that knowledgeable about this but has a urine test been done? When we were concerned about Mischa and Mini drinking a lot, the first thing the vets did was urine tests.

Also if it's slowed down a bit when having more food then maybe he was drinking to stem the hunger? That's partly why we thinking my lops were because we'd taken them off veg due to excess cecals.

I'm not that knowledgeable about this but has a urine test been done? When we were concerned about Mischa and Mini drinking a lot, the first thing the vets did was urine tests.

Hi, thanks for replying.

The vet did mention a urine test when we saw her last week now you mention it, i'd forgotten about that.

I am a bit stumped about how to get a sample though? He uses a litter tray with megazorb in it which just soaks everything up. Any suggestions about how we might get one?

Hi, thanks for replying.

The vet did mention a urine test when we saw her last week now you mention it, i'd forgotten about that.

I am a bit stumped about how to get a sample though? He uses a litter tray with megazorb in it which just soaks everything up. Any suggestions about how we might get one?

An empty litter tray. :thumb: Mine refused to go in an empty one though so I had to put some hay in and syringe it up.

Hi, thanks for replying.

You could use some Katkor or similar which is plastic beaded litter (from the vets). Sometimes a vet can express some too.

I seem to be in exactly the same situation as you. I found myself at the vets yesterday with one of my own beloved bunnies who has dropped to a terrible 1.85kgs (with a full tummy) but he should be about 3kgs. This has been very rapid and we are being given the same advice as you at the moment. Noah is not well enough for bloods to be taken. I am feeding him up too but we're only on day 1 so a way to go.

You could use some Katkor or similar which is plastic beaded litter (from the vets). Sometimes a vet can express some too.

I seem to be in exactly the same situation as you. I found myself at the vets yesterday with one of my own beloved bunnies who has dropped to a terrible 1.85kgs (with a full tummy) but he should be about 3kgs. This has been very rapid and we are being given the same advice as you at the moment. Noah is not well enough for bloods to be taken. I am feeding him up too but we're only on day 1 so a way to go.

Oh dear, it's such a worry when they're so skinny. I really want to avoid him being put under for the time being.

I found some treats in P@H last night which are 24% fats and oils which I'm hoping might help but I'm reluctant to give him them because it's not really the most healthy way for him to put weight on.

Is your bunny still eating plenty of hay and his other food?

Oh dear, it's such a worry when they're so skinny. I really want to avoid him being put under for the time being.

I found some treats in P@H last night which are 24% fats and oils which I'm hoping might help but I'm reluctant to give him them because it's not really the most healthy way for him to put weight on.

Is your bunny still eating plenty of hay and his other food?

Yes our bunny is eating everything he is given including his hay, but nothing seems to be working. I am feeding him low fibre high protein pellets to boost him and other high calorie things but it's a balance because of the risk of upsetting him stomach. I am also having to administer sub cut fluids twice a day myself. The fluids to try and help hydrate the mass in his stomach (not bloat, not impaction, and not strictly stasis, but just food that isn't moving. He is drinking but not too much.

Bless him me must be feeling quite uncomfortable. At least he's drinking a bit himself.

Is anything at all passing through his stomach?

Bless him me must be feeling quite uncomfortable. At least he's drinking a bit himself.

Is anything at all passing through his stomach?

He is pooing but they had gone to nothing over the last few days. But, with vet intervention yesterday he produced some that were slightly improved. That's the thing it's not stopped but just very sluggish. The vet has seen a similar thing a while back where there was a fungal problem. So he is looking at that too.

It's just so awful to see this lovely happy bunny become quiet and withdrawn compared to how he was.

i am not very knolagable but wht do the have to go "under" to have bloods taken? miffy has had hers done and hasnt had a anesthetic. she is on a drip in her ear but could they just not use that vein?
she is really skinny and her blood test come back normal but she never stopped eating but still had a blockage. :?

He is pooing but they had gone to nothing over the last few days. But, with vet intervention yesterday he produced some that were slightly improved. That's the thing it's not stopped but just very sluggish. The vet has seen a similar thing a while back where there was a fungal problem. So he is looking at that too.

It's just so awful to see this lovely happy bunny become quiet and withdrawn compared to how he was.

It's good the vet is investigating and he's lucky to have such a good bunny mummy :)

At least there is some movement and if there is improvement it can only be a good thing.

I hope he gets sorted soon x

this is interesting as that is what miffy was like apart from i didnt realise she wasnt pooing as she is part of a trio and was normal in herself and she just lost wieght.
so would a blood test pick up on the fungal problem?

i am not very knolagable but wht do the have to go "under" to have bloods taken? miffy has had hers done and hasnt had a anesthetic. she is on a drip in her ear but could they just not use that vein?
she is really skinny and her blood test come back normal but she never stopped eating but still had a blockage. :?

I'm not sure, I might ask tomorrow when we ask about the urine test.

I don't think Skinny Bunny has a blockage of any sort, he's doing lots of poos and they've got bigger and more 'normal sized' over the last few days which is a good sign.

Not much advice sorry, but I will say that normal porridge oats soaked in water (not sure if you have heard/are doing this!) is great to help a bun put weight on. Tulip has 8 teaspoons a day and loves it. She also has 2 table spoons of SS pellets and a terrifying amount of fresh. On this diet she can maintain the weight she should be:shock:

Lots of luck to all you Skinny Bunny Mummy's:love: I know how distressing it is too:(

I'm not sure, I might ask tomorrow when we ask about the urine test.

I don't think Skinny Bunny has a blockage of any sort, he's doing lots of poos and they've got bigger and more 'normal sized' over the last few days which is a good sign.

maybe he wasnt being fed enough then and tried to fill up on water???? :?

maybe he wasnt being fed enough then and tried to fill up on water???? :?

I'm really hoping it is that simple, it'd be great if it is :)

Hancy 14 said:
Not much advice sorry, but I will say that normal porridge oats soaked in water (not sure if you have heard/are doing this!) is great to help a bun put weight on. Tulip has 8 teaspoons a day and loves it. She also has 2 table spoons of SS pellets and a terrifying amount of fresh. On this diet she can maintain the weight she should be

I think i'll give the porridge oats a whirl too, do you use cold water or hot water and let it go cold?

I just use cold. I do that first and then prepare all other foods and waters, by which time its soaked up lots of water. Tulip has never had any problemswith oats but they were introduce really slowly (Of course!)

Be warned, you will hopefully get mugged for it:)

Update

Skinny Bunny now weighs 2.00kg and is drinking 320ml every few days rather than everyday.

Vet saw him last night and was over the moon. Just about to do a 28 day course of Panacur and see how it goes but fingers crossed he's well on his way to recovery. He is much much stronger and you can feel a fight in him when you pick him up which is great :)

Shame the same can't be said for the Flopsie though, she's just been to the vets and has gut statis :/

Back