• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Winterproofing

paulinejoe

Mama Doe
This is my buns first winter outside and I don't know what to do re an insulated cover for their hutch and run combo (it's the rabbit hutch shops giant hutch & run with the 6x4 run underneath) for a scratch and newton snuggle plus hugger it's going to be around the £100mark but for a similar price I can get one made to measure off e-bay that also has a waterproof cover to go over the run.

I thought the made to measure one was quite good value but my grandad and a few friends have said it's a ridiculous amount of money and to make something myself, my main concerns are warmth and keeping water out of the hutch bit, the run being waterproof would be a bonus.

What sort of things have you all used to make home-made covers and have they been a success or am I just better splashing out (what is for me a lot of money) and getting the made to measure one? Thanks :wave:

I brought some foil covered bubble wrap, water proof duct tape and covered my hutch with this, then I put some tarpaulin over the top which I have tied down to stop it blowing about, it feels warmer in the hutch and also keeps it cool in the sun. Cardboard boxes in the hutch will also provide a warm place to snuggle.

I'm sure I've read somewhere of people fixing old duvets to their hutches and covering with tarpaulin to make waterproof ..... not sure how you'd keep it all fixed in place though? Weighted down with bricks on top and tied round the sides perhaps?? Or nail gunned, if you have one??

We're going to line their 'bedroom' with carpet.... and maybe even put one of those animal igloo's in there.

Not sure how much help that was! :?

When their hutch was kept outside, I made a hutch cover, using leatherette/vinyl upholstery fabric for the back, sides and top and clear plastic for the front. I then attached elastic & velcro to hold it in place and keep the plastic down when it's windy. Due to its size (over 5 x 2 x 4 hutch) it was a bit of a faff to make with the sewing machine, but I think it only cost about £25 in materials, by buying the fabric off ebay. When it's cold I put old curtains over the hutch, under the rain cover, though I would have thought that keeping the wind out is the most important thing.

I've got the waterproof insulated cover for my hutch from the ebay man and they are definitely worth the money. If you are good with making things you could get some tarpaulin, ply wood and bubble wrap and insulate yourself and use the tarpaulin as a rain cover.

Thanks everyone :wave: I'm going to cost it all up this weekend, and I've decided if I can do something sturdy that'll last all winter for under £50 i'll do that, but if it's over then i might as well spend a bit more and get the made to measure one off the e-bay guy, nice to know someone who's got one! I saw them at the BARC open day in the summer and liked the look of them.

I had just typed out a new thread about exactly the same thing. So any extra advice would be great :) I was thinking corrugated plastic round the run and the thermal bubble wrap type stuff round the hutch itself with some tarp?

Hi everyone :wave:

I was about to start a thread as it's gotten so cold recently. I am worried about my bunnies as they used to be house buns but have been living outside since June so this will be their first winter outside. I will point out that they live separately too as they don't get on :cry:

Their hutch has a weather/predator protector which is great as it keeps them dry but I am worried about them getting cold. I feel ever so guilty but they aren't allowed to live in our new house which is rubbish.

Does anyone know what I need to do to make them warm? When I go and see them each morning their is condensation on the plastic window bit and it feels warm but I'm just not sure if it's warm enough....?

Does anyone know if what I have is enough (with heaps and heaps of hay)? I'm wondering about also putting a cardboard box in the bedroom bit so they can get in that too?
I am contemplating getting a little shed so that I can put their hutch in there but my other half lost his job in July so we don't have much money at present.

If only they got on then they could cuddle each other for heat!

Any help and advise would be grately appreciated thanks

Back