• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonfire Night eeek

Mrs Ord

Mama Doe
Those who have outdoor buns and can't bring them in for the night what are your plans?

There is a big display every year right next to our house it goes on for about an hour :(

What can I do to keep them as comfortable as possible??

Problem here is that firworks start at Halloween and continue on and off until new year! :shock::roll: Spenser can be brought in as long as one of us is able to supervise (no indoor cage). There were fireworks nearby in the summer, and I rushed out to check on Spenser, only to find him head down and very engrossed in important bunny business.:lol:

What type of set up do u have? Just trying to think of waus you could 'sound proof' abit.
You can buy rescue remedy for animals which is apparantly quite good for keeping them calm in stressful situations.
Id sit in with them during the display aswell for reassurance xxxx

I'm worried about the same as our neighbours have kids and are bound to have fireworks outside :censored: - they ahve 2 dogs rthat they keep outside aswell but obviously the dogs mustn't be scared :shock: personally I think fireworks should be banned but thats another conversation.
I am aiming to get mine covered over as soon as its dark and thats about it - I'm keen to hear any other suggestions.
Mind you they seem pretty laid back about stuff so far so i might be worrying unnecessarily (and not for the first time:lol:)

What type of set up do u have? Just trying to think of waus you could 'sound proof' abit.
You can buy rescue remedy for animals which is apparantly quite good for keeping them calm in stressful situations.
Id sit in with them during the display aswell for reassurance xxxx

Somebody was letting off fireworks on Saturday, past midnight. I was so cross. As someone else has said, it would be ok if just one night, but goes on for weeks. Don't really know what the answer is, except perhaps be around and your voice will give some reassurance. Hate it.

My rabbits really don't care anymore and have grown used to them over the years. I noticed last year there weren't many being set off and I expect it to be much quieter this year given most people don't have the spare money.

Helen xx

I dread this time of year :( I cover them up as soon as it gets dark and make sure they are settled before the displays start. Having said that someone always sets them off early :(

somebody was setting them off during the day the other day......:?
my buns dont bother about them. one of my dogs hates them tho.
best thing to do is to ignore the scaredness apparently.

ignoring the scaredness is the way to deal with scaredy dogs otherwise you are reinforcing their fear with any reaction that you have - reassuring them is telling them its ok to be scared.
Angie your avatar looks very like my old boy who went to the Bridge in May :love:
Not sure about buns though.

Two are in a shed. They have lots of hidey places and whatnot so I think the will be ok. The other two are in a hutch with attached run that they have permanant access to. These are the ones I'm worried about. I think I may lock them in their hutch to keep them out of the run. I've only doen this once while I was building the run so not sure if this could make them worse :?

I'm scared for my indoor buns :(

We live 5 minutes from the beach and theres a MASSIVE free display each year, it went for 45 minutes last year. All paid for by the council. Glad my taxes are spent well :)

I know thats not the subject matter, sorry.

We have a chav's gathering letting off display fireworks in the cul-de-sac. I would never leave my buns or pigs outside. One year we had animals in every room, including 3 bathrooms, landing and hall! It was hard work bringing them all in, having 2 sets of trays per lot to clean, shipping them back out each morning! This year we'll have 3 pens in the lounge, and the house buns will have the tv or radio in each room, curtains closed, lights on! I nearly had a heart attack last weekend when a firework went off whilst I was out with the outdoor buns, so I really wouldn't risk them suffering all night for 2 weeks. They have a 10 x 5 x 10 foot play house-with curtains, hidey holes and insulation-but still not risking leaving them out. The joys of fireworks eh!

Two are in a shed. They have lots of hidey places and whatnot so I think the will be ok. The other two are in a hutch with attached run that they have permanant access to. These are the ones I'm worried about. I think I may lock them in their hutch to keep them out of the run. I've only doen this once while I was building the run so not sure if this could make them worse :?

Think it may stress them more to be locked in their hutch without access to their run. Difficult to know what to do, isn't it. Must say I haven't decided yet, either - trouble is, it will go on for about three weeks at weekends as well as odd weekday nights, and if I shut mine away without access to their run every night I know they will be really stressed (so will I!)

I tend to bring mine indoors if the weather is relatively warm, otherwise it upsets their temperatures too much.

I will probably leave them outside this year if I can, so I will cover their shed window so it is not 'flashy' and leave a light on in the shed so that it reduces the flashes even more. The bangs I can't do much about but their shed is lined so that should help.

If it gets too bad, I'll have to put them in the hall. I hate fireworks!

hmm im not sure how mine react to fireworks - do all buns hate them? I will just shut the shed door, maybe sit in with them and give them their pellets while the display is going off to distract them :?

None of mine are phased by fireworks, even Roger the wildie. I'm very lucky in that respect. They will just get a load of hay and wrapped up well and when its all finished they will get some nanary and that's about it for mine.

My buns havent yet experienced fireworks but knowing my buns how I do, I dont think they will be to phased but I dont know that so will be keeping an eye out, may use some bachs rescue remedy just in case!

My dog is the one who goes scatty, he ripped my chest to bits in a blind panic a few years ago when I was trying to put him in his bedroom! Poor boy he really hates them!

Bramble hasn't been bothered by fireworks before, but we moved house this year so things might be different. If he doesn't like it, I shall bring him indoors.

I'm gonna lock the catflaps so buns are in shed for the 5th & that weekend - overnight

This is the first year outside

Back